rniquette

TMG being discontinued - any buyers interested?

Hi Bob,

I just saw the depressing news that you are going to discontinue development of TMG. It's a great product. I'm sad to see it go after all these years.

Releasing the database structure is a good way to provide some of us (but probably not me!) with the opportunity to take up the mantle and keep the program current with OS changes. BTW when you first started developing TMG, you used MS Foxpro in your SDE. Is that still the case?

Regardless of what you use now, what about selling your technology to one of the competing products? I know nothing about the business behind any of this, but of course that won't keep me from speculating!

e.g, an outfit like FTM might be interested in acquiring it so they can market a "researcher's tool". For them it would emphasize substance over form, which is the opposite of the emphasis in their existing product line. If nothing else, FTM could use the technology to develop a more robust import function than they currently have - not just for importing TGM databases, but also for expanding the capabilities of their GEDCOM importer.

On a personal note, I hope you're managing those health problems OK. Quality time doing what you want to do with people you love is great medicine.

I was just thinking that I've been with TMG as a customer since the first release version on 1/4 inch floppies. At that time you essentially saved both casual and serious researchers from the horrors of Roots III, and brought genealogy software out of the world of dual-floppy clunker PC/AT's.

I participated a lot in the early discussions but have lurked in the background ever since. Despite the silence on my parnt, my interest in and use of TMG have never flagged. The online database I developed using TMG and Second Site has united distant cousins in my family, and even led to one marriage! (which has lasted !!!)

TMG has been an amazing journey, thanks in toto to its developer, his support folks, and the third party add-on developers like Gene Stark (sorry to leave out more specific names. I'm sure it's a huge list).

Take care my friends at TMG,

Ron Niquette

Rising Moon Genealogy Services

Edited by rniquette

I also noticed Bob mentioned releasing a document detailing the TMG internal file structure, but have yet to locate this document. Does anyone know where it can be found? Thanks in advance.

Thank you, Terry. Much appreciated!

I'm not a businessman, nor do I know anything about a business. However, I wonder why, with such a great product, TMG didn't go up for sale? Or, be offered for sale through the folks working at the company. It seems to me it would have been a great avenue to explore.

John

I'd have to agree. It's imperative that this product is not allowed to become part of the history we are recording. Bob, please look into this avenue. Surely such a top rated product needs to extend beyond the life of anyone. This product is a monument to the man who created it. Alternative maybe the users could form a co-operative or something and employ deveopers?

Look forward to positive outcomes of the future.

Wal