• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 efcharvet

efcharvet
  • Senior Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Ken,

I hope that there is no discount offered. TMG users who didn't upgrade are a leading cause of the demise of TMG, and it seems plain wrong to reward that behavior now that WG has decided to discontinue it.

(posted by John Cardinal)

John,

Frankly, I am quite surprised by your reply: users who didn't upgrade are a leading cause of TMG's demise! Wow! Blame TMG's current and former users! -- If TMG were a superior product, or even truly competitive, it would be attracting new users by the carload, and upgrading wouldn't be a question for nearly anyone. -- Despite TMG's unique feature set, there are plenty of perfectly good reasons users have been abandoning it, and sales aren't increasing. It is very naïve to think otherwise.

#22 mikefox@satx.rr.com

mikefox@satx.rr.com
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

Life is full of bad stuff.  As with others, I wish Bob Velke the best.  The news that TMG is coming to an end is a real kick in the gut for me.  I'm 78 and am closing out 25 years of research and was getting ready to hand it over to my kids with TMG.  I've been bragging to them for years how good TMG is and how much info I've put into memos.  --how 1000s of exhibits are tied to individual persons.  Oh boy----!!!  I'm sick at the thought of loosing the info in the memos.  For me, I'll stick to TMG to the end.  For my kids??????

So far, the best advice is to hang tight and see what develops.  I'll be watching this forum closely.

#23 DougG

DougG
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Maybe we should wait for another year or so until TMG has released a new version of GenBridge and the rivals have adopted to the changed situation.

Is there any indication that a new version of GenBridge is on the way? I use the current version in my GedStar Pro Android product, but it does not support the V9 role changes. I didn't see anything in Bob's letter that would indicate further development on GenBridge.

#24 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Bob said in his letter:

In the interest of preserving users' data, I have released a document that details TMG's internal file structure and I will make GenBridge available for free to developers who wish to produce a direct import from TMG insofar as their programs support the same features.

I hope this means that GenBridge will be updated ("... in the interest of preserving users' data..."), otherwise htis would not make much sense.

Regards
Helmut

#25 tmilligan

tmilligan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

"If TMG were a superior product, or even truly competitive, it would be attracting new users by the carload"

I completely agree with John and hope no discounts are offered. Especially to those that gripe about the product!
TMG has always been an outstanding product, best in class, in my opinion...and I have trialed nearly all, supposed competition.

Only exception, would be for those who are unable to appreciate its' capabilities.

I'll keep using TMG for as long as I possibly can.

#26 byrt

byrt
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have been a faithful TMG user for years and am very sad to see it go. That said, my first concern is my data. While I don't have 20,000, I do have almost 7,000 individuals in my database and loads of witness roles for census and marriage records. I know those don't export to gedcom. Is everyone hoping that other developers will use Genbridge to create a direct import method? Much as I love TMG I want to move my data to something new as soon as possible just in case I have to manually re-key some of the data. Better done sooner rather than later. Is there a way now to export witness roles or even just print them out with the individual IDs so I can track them down?

Edited by byrt, 31 July 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#27 mikefox@satx.rr.com

mikefox@satx.rr.com
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

I'm 78 and am at the end of the process of closing out 25 years of research stored in TMG.  Have portable hard-drives for each kid filled and almost ready to give to them.  The place of pride is the folder with the complete TMG data base and a folder with its backup. As a last backup, there's a GEDCOM folder.  I am sick at the thought of losing tremendous amounts of work.  The only saving grace is a folder with Second Site that will at least allow them to see the information.  But how will they add their own family history to the basis I built?  Giving them a copy of TMG is not a solution.  The only wisdom I've heard is be patient and see what develops.

#28 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

... my first concern is my data...  Much as I love TMG I want to move my data to something new as soon as possible just in case I have to manually re-key some of the data. Better done sooner rather than later.

I disagree. I believe better done later rather than sooner. In my opinion the sooner you try to move your data to some other software the more data you will lose, have to rekey, or have to covert to some other structure in that program. Current programs simply do not have the features or import tools to receive a lot of the data and advanced features of TMG.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but I think that the discontinuation of TMG will cause other genealogy software vendors to enhance their current products to better import TMG files and attract TMG users. And Bob Velke's offering of his GenBridge import/export software for free should greatly help vendors implement TMG import capabilities. But that will take some time. I do not intend to even start looking at alternatives until at least a year or two from now.

Is there a way now to export witness roles or even just print them out with the individual IDs so I can track them down?

Yes, see John Cardinal's TMG Utility, specifically the "Export Data" function for Sentences. See his example of an HTML page of sentences and roles which is output in Grid format here. That outputs the role definitions, and you can use TMG's List of Witnesses report to output what role each person is assigned in a tag.

The place of pride is the folder with the complete TMG data base and a folder with its backup... But how will they add their own family history to the basis I built? Giving them a copy of TMG is not a solution.

I think that is a good solution, Mike. They could choose to use it for several years from now. And as I propose above, in a few years I believe (most of) the files of that TMG project will be able to be imported into a current genealogy program.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#29 TPG

TPG
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

While I have a lot of respect for John Cardinal, I think he is off base in blaming the demise of TMG on users who did not religiously upgrade to the most current versions.  TMG, like other software, is a business proposition and upgrades have to justify their costs by providing new features, improved performance, etc.  I only upgraded TMG on occasion, when I believed that the value of the accumulated changes justified the expense.  For some time now, WG has not delivered the quality improvements commensurate with the price of upgrades.   This has been especially true given the buggy nature of some of the upgrades.

I had a fairly successful GEDCOM based software product for many years (Progenitor) but eventually realized that the expense of providing upgrades and other related maintenance activities could not be supported by new sales and the price I could charge for upgrades.  I didn't blame anyone.  I just folded the product after making almost $7,500 from it.  John Cardinal made much more money from his Second Site connection to TMG.  Perhaps he should have contributed part of that to the continued financial health of WG instead of blaming simple users.  

#30 dwhopper

dwhopper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

So I decided that I like TMG a lot. And it would be best to purchase on CD a copy pof the latest version.

So I tried to do that on line. No dice. System simply refuses to work.

So I figured I would call and place a phone order. No dice. They use the same system, as the web order form and cannot use it since it is apparently broken. Even when I want to give Wholly Genes money I cannot.

WOW. And not a good WOW.

#31 dwhopper

dwhopper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

And then I changed browsers. Shut down Firefox and opend up Chrome. Worked like a charm. Seems so simple I am surprsed the order desk gurus at Wholly Genes did not suggest it.

I have found that on ornery web sites Chrome is the best.

#32 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Shut down Firefox and opend up Chrome. Worked like a charm.

Passed that info on to Dorothy in Support.

#33 seaellsea

seaellsea
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:COVELL: 1800 Nantucket, MA<br />BREWER: US from 1900 - now, UK: 1900 - 1700

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hi Bob

I'm sorry to see TMG being discontinued. I have been using TMG since you and Dick Eastman started talking about the DOS version on Compuserve. I've owned every version since. (Including DOS)  Well, I just wanted to wish you well and it's been a great ride.  You deserve some freedom from us, so escape to a great retirement. Thank you for you hard work and dedication. Best wishes on your retirement.

Conrad Covell

#34 geneladyMO

geneladyMO
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

I wish Bob well, and am so sad that TMG will not continue to be developed. I also appreciate TMG so much.

I have a MAC now and can get back to genealogy after a couple of years hiatus. My old Windows machine still works, fortunately. I have looked at other programs this week and none of them, Windows or MAC, will do as much as TMG does. My main goal is to finish four books, using the Journal report for ancestors (one book per grandparent). Absolutely none of the other programs do that very well. I would lose so much of my information in any other narrative format. I'm sticking with TMG for now and will start using it on my MAC with Parallels.

#35 Randy-2

Randy-2
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

I’m sorry to see that the discontinuation of TMG has been posted. I also wish Bob, his family, and the TMG staff well as they go through this major life change. I have used TMG and the companion Second Site for many years and I think that this combination is far superior to any other products that are out there.

I had to go through a similar transition with my data when Ultimate Family Tree (UFT) was discontinued. Since UFT still worked over several OS and computer upgrades, I worked for over two years adding to and editing my UFT database to put it in the best shape for transferring over to TMG.

I have tried in the past, and just recently, to transfer my TMG data into Family Tree Maker (FTM) and the TMG import into FTM 2014 does not work correctly. I have seen repeatable errors in parent and child links. I have tried the GEDCOM 5.5 export out of TMG and then read that file into FTM. This process seems to work with some errors that are identified in the log file. For my large database (121K people) these steps can take about four hours to run on my computer. I plan to keep editing my TMG database until I can get the errors out. However, I expect that I have a year or more to do this transfer.

Thanks again.

#36 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

I have tried in the past, and just recently, to transfer my TMG data into Family Tree Maker (FTM) and the TMG import into FTM 2014 does not work correctly.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately that's what is going to happen. The GenBridge TMG import has a number of issues and is not a viable import solution. In addition, it is out of date for more recent TMG versions.

Unless other developers write TMG import modules, the only viable method to move your data to another program is using a TMG GEDCOM and spending considerable time cleaning up the imported data. You need to do test imports with a small subset of your data. You will find that you can edit your GEDCOM to facilitate the import to other programs and reduce the post-import cleanup.

#37 Cemetery_Cleaner

Cemetery_Cleaner
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

9.03 Having trouble making a good readable gedcom file.  No trouble with Version 8, but I can't go back now.  

V 8 GEDCOM was about 6,000KB  V 9.03 is only about 1,200 with same options.  Message when imported reads "This is not a valid, complete GEDCOM file.  It is missing information and does not have the required "0 TRLR" at the end", what ever that means.  And yest I have waited for the program to complete.  Has anyone else had problems importing a GEDCOM File made by TMG 9.03?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

#38 Kenwvt

Kenwvt
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Doesn't TMG "phone home" to validate the registration code every so often and if so will these servers be maintained ?  If they go away what happens ?

-Ken

#39 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Doesn't TMG "phone home" to validate the registration code every so often...

-Ken

(Rewritten to make clearer.)

Once you have the program installer in hand, the installer and program have no need to connect to the Internet for installing and running the program. A registration check is done each time that the program is run and is done using code that is internal to the program. A machine with a TMG installation never needs to be connected to the Internet.

Edited by Jim Byram, 05 August 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#40 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

9.03 Having trouble making a good readable gedcom file...

"This is not a valid, complete GEDCOM file.  It is missing information and does not have the required "0 TRLR" at the end."

Hi Gary,

The "TRLR" line is always the last line written to any GEDCOM file, so its lack is a sure sign the entire file was not created. The creation of GEDCOM files has been a problem for some users with many versions of TMG.  In all cases which I can recall, the problem has always been that some other program was running in the background simultaneously accessing the GEDCOM file as it was being created.  Common examples of such programs are automated backup programs like DropBox, or antivirus, or cloud sync programs, or ???  Check to see if you have such a program running, and either stop it while creating the GEDCOM, or configure the program not to monitor the folder where you are creating the GEDCOM file.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users