The Discontinuation Of TMG

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 SusanT

SusanT
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

If you are running Windows 8 or later, the operating system is removing the registration information.

You need to run TMG once as administrator (see below) and enter the registration information, then exit. Now you can run TMG normally without needing to unlock.

Select the TMG shortcut, right-click, and select 'Run as administrator'.

Thank you, thank you, Jim! It worked like a charm. No trial version to unlock windows popped up this morning. I am running Windows 8.1. I had been using a much earlier version of TMG on an older computer that was running XP. After getting a new CPU early last year, found the older version wouldn't work. I didn't get around to upgrading TMG until this year and now up to v9.

Thanx again!  ----- Susan

#62 John Cardinal

John Cardinal
  • Senior Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Mikey,

You are obviously very frustrated and I can understand why. Unfortunately, you did not provide any details in the message that would help solve the problem. I assume you have shared details with WG support, but that doesn't help us.

Meanwhile, you think there is no possibility of help from forum members. I don't agree. You should start another thread.  Pick one PC where you can't get TMG to work, and in that thread, describe what is happening. Members here will ask some questions and provide some advice. It's best to work with a single person rather than a group because the process has to be organized. Based on the evidence--the information you supply--the helper has to narrow down the possibilities until the solution is found.

I was helping a person install one of my programs last week. She said that when she started the install program, nothing happened and the install program icon disappeared from her desktop. After determining that she had a valid copy of the installer, we discovered that her anti-virus program was the culprit: it was preventing the install from running and removing the install program. Evidently, it thought the installer had a virus--it doesn't--but worse than that, it did not communicate what it was doing. When the anti-virus program was turned off temporarily to run the install, everything went smoothly. I am not suggesting that the same solution will work for you, just giving an example of one of the many things that can interfere with installing and/or using a program.

Given that thousands of people are using TMG v9 on a wide variety of PCs and operating systems, it's very likely that it will work for you. To achieve that, you need the help of someone who understands how to diagnose and solve the problem. There are a few people on the forum with those attributes.

And, by the way, we won't be gone in December. WG Support will not continue, but user-to-user support will continue.

#63 fiddler

fiddler
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

I'm concerned about how to archive a copy of the TMG software to guard against a computer crash or other drastic event that may occur in the future beyond the existence of the TMG website.

With version 9, the enhancements (.01, .02, .03) have only been available as downloads from within TMG's help menu, with the program installing the upgrade automatically, rather than as a manually installable file that can be archived.

This is important because losing a hard drive with 9.03 leaves me with a 9.03 data set, and the only installable software I have is the original (downloaded) purchase of version 9.00.  Version 9.00 cannot read my 9.03 data set, and there will be no TMG site to provide the needed update.  Will it work to download the trial version as each enhancement is released, in order to get an installable version?

Thanks.  Art Brown

#64 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Will it work to download the trial version as each enhancement is released, in order to get an installable version?

Yes. The 'trial' version is the full installer for the current version of TMG. 

#65 fiddler

fiddler
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, Jim.  Wish I had done that for the first two enhancements.

Hate to see TMG go.........I've used it since v2, I think.

Art

#66 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Art,

Remember to also keep a copy your serial number and the email address you used when you purchased v9 in a safe place too. One good solution is to keep a copy of both in a text files stored the same place as the installer.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#67 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

Art said: "Hate to see TMG go".

But Art, TMG is not "going" anywhere, it is simply that development has ceased.  Many of us intend to continue to use it for the foreseeable future.  Some may even argue that there is no more "serious" development needed.

Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#68 tmilligan

tmilligan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

my suggestion for the following complaints:

• I should have been offered a discount (after EOS announcement) on TMG 9, and especially after using TMGx for x number of years.
  • TMG was outdated
  • TMG was not competitive
  • Updates were too expensive (really?)

switch to another genealogy program that is in release - and get engaged in their forum.

You did not care then, you should not care now, and you should stop complaining.

I, with my TMG, am not going anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users