joanlince

Problem restoring backup from desktop to laptop, both 9.03

I have TMG 9.03 running on both my desktop and my laptop, which are both running Win 7. I enter data only on the desktop and routinely use restore the sqz file from the desktop onto the laptop to get the laptop current. The first time I tried this after updating both computers to 9.03, I got an error message on the laptop, saying "Folder C:\Users\Joan Lince\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\Projects\ does not exist".

Why v8? I checked all the steps and I'm doing everything right, but now I see that the first dialog box in the restore process on my laptop gives, in the space for "Restore project to this folder:", the v8 path that I typed above in this message. That's what the restore program put in there. I've reviewed my paths in TMG Preferences Advanced on both computers and everything correctly says v9. So I have to conclude that the program is erroneously specifying the wrong path. I tried manually correcting the path in that first dialog box to read v9, but when I did that I got a message that the " Folder C:\Users\Joan Lince\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9 path does not exist. Create new folder?" That's incorrect. I looked it up in my laptop's Windows Explorer and it's there. What should I do?

Hi Joan,

You asked this on both TMG-L and here. Usually one or the other is enough. As I replied on TMG-L:

Updating to a new version of TMG (e.g. from V8 to V9) intentionally does not change the internal folder names stored within an existing project. If your project data is now using different folder(s), you must

manually change them within the project. You will find most folder names as part of Preferences specific to this project.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Sorry for being redundant. I decided the TMG list was preoccupied with other matters. I hadn't received your reply there.

I've already confirmed that v9 folders are specified for this project for all categories in Preferences on both computers. Even before I got the error message. Any other suggestions?

Joan,

Did you check Program Options > General > Default Project Path? I think that's what controls where TMG looks for projects, and tries to put Projects under a Restore.

Thanks so much, Terry! I didn't know about that. I fixed it, and then had to fix the slight discrepancy between paths on desktop and laptop, and then the backup worked. And I'm very happy!

Previous TMG versions were letting me get away with that discrepancy. I'm glad TMG provided the tools for fixing it (and I'm glad there was a guru to tell me about it).

Joan