DJHollon

Can Not Make a Backup in Gold 8.8 HELP PLEASE

I am trying to make a backup in Gold Version 8.8. I get a popup that states: Input file read failure-This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is blocked or restricted by another process. then the program finishes backup process but there is no backup.

Jane Hollon

Jane -

If you are making the backup directly to an external medium, instead make the backup to a folder on your hard drive and then copy that backup file to the external medium.

Do you use Dropbox or other cloud service? That could interfere with a backup.

For future stability of the program, I would also suggest upgrading to the latest version - v9.03.

Virginia

Jane,

As Virginia suggests, the most common problem is choosing to create the Backup in a folder which you have identified some program (like Dropbox) to automatically monitor that folder and back up its contents. With two programs both trying to simultaneously access the backup file as it is being created there are bound to be problems. Make the backup in a special folder for TMG use only. Then when done, copy the SQZ file to your Dropbox or whatever folder for it to back up.

Hope this gives you ideas.

It is set to make a backup in the default folder on my computer. I have checked the settings to make sure they have not been changed. I have the new 9.3 gold but I need a backup out of 8.8 before I can get any further. I only use my external drives for backups of my whole computer and I only have a few things in dropbox. Thank you both Virginia and Michael for trying to help!

Jane

PROBLEM SOLVED! Even tho I don't use Dropbox to store my genealogy, Dropbox was running! Thanks again for the prompt replies Virginia and Michael! Moving on to 9.3!

Sincerely

Jane

Happy for you that you figured it out.

Be sure to download the trial version file of 9.3 and then install by running that file as Admin. Some users have had problems with "Check for update".