jonsaunders

9.03 loses "Prompt for Backup" setting

The "Prompt for Backup" setting, when checked, disappears every day, and I have to reset it. Running on Widows 7, 64 bit with current maintenance. Otherwise, everything is running smoothly.

Try re-saving your layout and see if that keeps the setting. Go to the top menu View / Layouts / Layout Manager. Then click on Overwrite to modify your existing layout.

The shortcut for the layout overwrite is Alt v a m Alt o.

Virginia

If you are checking the "Prompt for backup" option in the "During exit" section of "Startup and Exit" in Prefrences, then after you check it, first click "Apply" and only then click "OK'. See if that helps.

'Prompt for backup' is a program setting stored in the app.ini and has absolutely nothing to do with layout files.

Check your app.ini using a text editor such as Notepad. The file is located in the user program data folder. You can use the Help / Access Folders feature to open this folder.

You should have this setting in the Advanced section of the file...

[Advanced]
PromptBackup=Yes

You should have this setting in the Advanced section of the file...

[Advanced]

PromptBackup=Yes

I checked today just after opening my file, and the option was turned off. So either during shut down, after the backup, or during start up, the setting is getting changed to No

The problem appears to be another of the "focus" problems that I have incurred before and never got resolved. The prompt parameter stayed as Yes from yesterday, through a shutdown last night and restart this morning, and all day today. Tonight I was working in a browser window on my 2nd screen, finished up, and reached over and clicked the X to close the TMG window on screen 1, without first giving that window focus. It shut down without prompting for backup, and when I checked the app.ini file, the prompt option was No.

Just guessing:

assume currently the prompt is set to Yes. You want to shtdown TMG and you get the prompt/reminder to save. On this prompt at bottom you are asked if this should be repeated the next time. Be sure this is checked (with a hook). Otherwise the prompt is reset to no.

Edited by Helmut Leininger

Do you have more than one copy of app.ini? Perhaps from the installation of an earlier version of TMG or of another copy? In other words, are you looking at the current copy of the file?

Robert

Robert, I am looking at the right app.ini. But it is even easier than that - I can just look at preferences within the app to see if it set right. And after a full day's use, it never is.

Jon,

I have no clue what's causing the issue, but I would suggest a work-around if you haven't tried it already (actually, I turned off that prompt years ago in favor of this solution). Put a backup button on the custom toolbar, and you can make a backup with a single click. Not only when you exit, but any time you have put in more data than you would care to have to re-enter.