joanlince

In v 9.03 on laptop, full screen memo does not wrap around (goes off the screen) and OK, Cancel, and Help buttons don't show

Just discovered this problem on 9.03 on my laptop (running Win 7). If I click on the memo button to get the full screen view, the only way I can get out of it is CTRL-ALT-DEL. (Tried every menu option that wasn't greyed out and nothing helped.) Memo works fine on my desktop, and the file on laptop was backup/restored from there. Made everything on Preferences identical on the two machines and the problem is still there. Tried it with and without Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing but neither way works. Also used Optimize/VFI/Optimize on the project before and after restoring to laptop and that doesn't help either. Suggestions?

Joan,

Have you tried using the F7 function key? Perhaps on your laptop you have to use some button to activate the function keys?

Michael,

The F7 key produced the same result as clicking on the Memo button; that is, an expanded memo field with lines that don't wrap around, causing much of the text to be off the screen; and couldn't be exited from because the close button was not visible. But thank you for pointing me to the F keys. I am now able to get out of the expanded memo field by pressing F9, which is much better than using the Task Manager.

But the Memo field is still not working right. It has always worked right before, including on my laptop. It's a problem for me because I often need to view the memo field in a Biography tag that I use a lot.

Joan

Joan -

When the expanded memo window is off screen, try -

1. On the top menu, Window / Center the Current Window.

or

2. Try click and hold with your mouse in the top bar of the expanded Memo and drag it to the left so it is in full view,

Either one should be a permanent fix.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia.

I had already tried Center the Current Window and it did nothing.

Your second point helps but doesn't completely solve it. I've now managed to move the window to the left and then back to the right, so I can eventually read all the text, but it's cumbersome to read that way. It still doesn't wrap around the way it's supposed to. I consider this, together with now using F9, as work arounds, but I'd like to get it back the way it used to be.

Joan

Joan

Does enlarging the Tag Entry screen itself to a reasonable maximum size make any difference in the expanded Memo?

In Preferences / Program Options / Data Entry - what are your minimum and maximum font sizes? Does adjusting those up or down make any difference? Try making them both the same size.

Virginia

Virginia,

I had already fiddled with the maximum and minimum font sizes. Now tried making them the same, but it didn't help. But I just now tried dragging the window (following your instructions) to a place where I could access the [restore down] button, and clicking on that seems to have done it. Tested it on a few records so it apparently is working throughout.

Thanks so much!

Joan