John W Van Dyke

TMG V 9.3 Is Not Working

Well, I have just about given up on TMG! I thought the issues would be taken care of after reformatting my hard drive, installing version 9.3 through Administrator, normal install, limiting programs etc. When I delete a person and do an Optimize, I get a .dbf lost, or a system being used by someone else, etc. I then have to reload a backup. I have dropped all external attachments and still problems.

With all these problems using TMG I will have to go, SADLY FOR SURE, to a genealogy with so many less abilities!

John

Hi Virginia,

I first delete the tags for the person. Then I go to the Edit, ensure the ID number is in the box and Delete one person. Now, when I try to Restore ANY of my recent last 15 backups (within the last three days), I get, "Someone else is using the selected project and it is not possible to restore it." Genealogy recording has lost its fun as I try to struggle through what appears to be failures in the TMG software!

Being retired since 2005 and working genealogy with TMG at least 8 hours a day, in the past few months, it seems any entries made are either lost or have to be re-entered over and over again.

John

Hello again, John,

I am sorry to hear that you are one of the very few people who continue to have problems. I know you have tried many things to resolve this and been unsuccessful, and I wish I could give you a "silver bullet" answer. But I don't know what to suggest.

The types of errors you have been getting and continue to receive continue to be consistent with some other program interfering with TMG. The error "Someone else is using the selected project and it is not possible to restore it." is a perfect example. I know you said that you did a "normal install, limiting programs", but I am still suspicious there is some other program causing all this. One other user did not know about DropBox and was not intentionally running it, but her system did automatically install it, and she was able to discover it was running. When she was finally able to stop it, all her problems similar to yours went away. So it still may be some program on your system which you are not aware is running.

By the way, just to try something, whenever I Restore a project, I first Exit TMG so it closes completely. Then I open it and do the Restore. In the guise of "trying anything once" this might help, although it "shouldn't" be necessary.

Continuing trying to help,

One More Try!

I have reformatted my hard drive, established a partition, created a logical drive and installed TMG on the logical drive. All references to TMG is on the logical drive. Now, I will try and see how it goes...

John,

May I assume you have used the Windows Task Manager to examine all the processes/programs running on your system? It does not matter whether you are connected to the Internet, or whether TMG is installed on a separate logical drive. As long as some process/program in the background is monitoring TMG's files in any way, you will continue to get these errors. The default for any cloud or similar backup process is to monitor every possible drive and folder, whether it is a logical drive or not. So I don't hold out a lot of hope for your logical drive to have any difference. But heck, I guess it can't hurt to try.

At the moment, and in the past, I do not have a backup program running. Windows, obviously is running and my virus program is running. What is strange is, looking at Task Manager, after closing TMG program, Task Manager says, "TMG Ver 9.03 is not working", yet the information on the right says "Running"!

...looking at Task Manager, after closing TMG program, Task Manager says, "TMG Ver 9.03 is not working", yet the information on the right says "Running"!

You need to kill any TMG process that is still running after closing all instances of the program.

I occasionally get a remnant process when testing, but usually I'm doing something that is stressing the program.

Well, I guess it is time for me and TMG to part ways. I have added about five inputs, run Optimize and now I get . dbf is lost! Task Manager ust has one TMG running. I close and re-open and AGAIN, no file to open! Restore required!

John,

Sorry, I was unclear and TomH is correct.

As the screenshot in Tom's first link shows, do not look (only) at "Applications" (programs) within Task Manager. Just because you only see TMG as an application is not sufficient. More important is to look at the Processes tab. You need to identify any/all of the processes running which may be doing some kind of background monitoring/reading of files. These processes may have been automatically installed and running by default simply as part of the operating system, and not as a separate application. They are usually for either background virus checking or marking files/folders for potential backup. Once you identify them, you should be able to choose to either ensure they do not start/run on your system at all, or when running TMG. Or preferably you will hopefully be able to find a configuration setting in them that will cause them to never monitor TMG files and folders. (Note that this background activity can go on even if you are not connected to the Internet.)

With others starting to have similar problems recently, I am beginning to suspect that a recent Windows update has automatically added some kind of background checking, probably for cloud backup, without users realizing it. Whenever I finally choose to upgrade to the latest Windows I fear I will encounter similar issues.

Still not working. I shutdown many items, bottom Task Manager reads, "Processes 70, CPU 3-4%, Physical Memory 49%". I reinstalled TMG 9.03 and restored a, what I believe is a good backup. I added about five items, run Optimize and everything OK. I perform a new back up, it was OK. Closed the program. Tried to reopen the program and up pops "File Access Is Denied" ...\appdata\local\temp\tmg67284951\_rpts.dbf.GETREPORTS2.

It just doesn't stop!

Edited by John W Van Dyke

John,

I feel your pain. I had experienced virtually the same problems and error messages for months. As explained in an earlier post I made, I modified my anti-virus and anti-malware to skip any TMG directories and have used optmz- vf integrity - optmz for 13 sessions with no errors or problems at all !

If you're going to use v8 (which is fine), I'd suggest using v8.08 if possible. v8.08 is the cleanest and most structurally sound version of TMG8.

I am not surprised, John. I suspect your above error of "File Access Is Denied" of a .dbf file is likely just another example of some other program or Windows process accessing the TMG files. Which is consistent for most of your errors. You don't use Carbonite by any chance, do you?

John -

When you encountered an error, it may be of help to know the text of the first (only the first) error message that you received in that incident. Those error messages are stored in your error.txt file, by default in the Logs subfolder in the User Data Files location. You can go directly to that folder and that file from TMG v8 or v9 from the Access Folders item under Help on the top menu.

The messages are time-stamped so you can easily pick out the first message in an incident series. To read the messages more clearly, drag the window wider - if your screen permits - so the text does not wordwrap, You don't need to list all the messages - just give us an idea whether there some error messages that occur more frequently. You've mentioned 'File Access is denied' for some of them. Is that the most common?

What is your Windows User Account Control setting (Windows / Start / Control Panel / User Account Controls)?

You mentioned installing as an Administrator, do you then run the program as a user or as administrator?

Virginia

OK, I've started all over again! So far I have reformatted my hard drive, installed Windows 7 from the original supplied program from computer manufacture. I have installed TMG version 8, then 8.08. I have loaded a backup file from that era. I have performed deletions, changes and adds and run Reindex, Optimize several times plus did a backup with NO ERRORS! In addition, I have created a GEDCOM file, which, appears to be complete at 5563 KB. I have since connected with the internet and did some further work... In Progress. I have yet to install my virus protection... That's next...

I have now installed McAfee virus protection and "Turned Off real time scanning ...." Also, I have not accomplished any Windows Updates.

Edited by John W Van Dyke

When you install your virus protection, if possible find configuration options which will ensure the virus program does not touch or ever look at the TMG folders or subfolders where your project data is located.

Hi

I had some problems with missing *.DBF file.

The solutions for me was to turn off the realtime virus scanning when woking with TMG. (Using McAfee).

Einar

Another update... With my virus protection set at Programs and documents scan set on off, I have loaded version 9.03, deleted some of the same as in version 8.08, run a reindex, optimize with no problems. Also, I still haven't update any Windows items... I will do those one at a time.