I have several groups of families in one TMG project (TMG 9) which adds up to 17,466 people.

I have tried to export ALL to Gedcom using the export wizard. The export seems to proceed OK but the figure under the line for export of people says 5% and after the export has finished it is obvious that I have only exported about 5% of the people. I also tried to do this in my old copy of TMG8 with the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Ken Clarke

Read the other topics on this issue. It has affected a number of people and is affecting more and more people.

The best evidence is that some third-party program such as file syncing programs (like Dropbox or Google Drive), backup programs (like Carbonite), antivirus programs, or some other program that has direct access to the TMG project files or program components used by TMG is interfering with the TMG GEDCOM export. You need to identify the program and disable it while making the GEDCOM export. Many people have found the source of this issue on their system and resolved it while some others have not found a solution.

Thank you Virginia and Jim for your comments. I have disabled my BT Cloud backup and a Norton backup program that I found running. As far as I can see I then made sure that I had no other programs running and no browser running either. I then tried to export ALL again but got the same result.

I will now reboot the computer (running Vista) and also disable my network connection and shut down my McAfee security program. I will report back when I have tried the export under those conditions.

Ken

I disabled everything that I could find including my internet connect and firewall. But I still get a tiny GEDcom file. In the past I have had no trouble creating a gedcom file. It is obviously time for some deeper fiddling with some setting of another unless someone comes up with a clear definition of the problem! I may suddenly find that I can make it work without knowing why, and that is not a very satisfactory position to be in.

Ken

GEDCOM export is also not working for me on large files(8.0.8); the small ones are ok.

I get two errors: 1-file access is denied (to a temporary file in appdata\local\temp) or 2-no table is open in the current work area. When the error occurs, retry works, but the resultant gedcom does not have the trailer and is seriously incomplete. If i click abort, TMG comes to a standstill and i have to force TMG to end thru windows vista task manager.

its easy to review the resultant GEDCOM as windows will open it in notepad...that way i use edit/find and see who is in the file; also each individual has a starting line (0 @I1@ INDI) which is numbered sequentially from I1)..., and check if the final line (0 TRLR) is there.

i deleted dropbox program completely, turned off the internet, stopped my virus program, and it still happens. Surely someone can offer more assistance with this...i have spent hours...

phyllis

Edited by phylliskramer

i will try it and report back.

thankyou

omg!! i went into safe mode and it worked!!

jim thankyou...

please spread the word...at last a workaround...

Edited by phylliskramer

Oh my goodness, I finally got a full GEDCOM! I've messed with this ever since I upgraded to vs 9. My computer refused to boot up in Safe Mode, and thought I had everything turned off. Took John's advice to turn McAfee's 'Real TIme Scanning' to Off and it worked!!

Thank you so much!!
Marlene

I've checked my exported GEDCOM and it appears that all of the people are included; at first glance, most of the events/tags appear to be included. However, all dates for "Name-Married" and "Notes" are missing. :( So the GEDCOM file is unusable to me. Now to figure out that problem.

GEDCOM is a text file and, if the export is complete, the last line of the file will be the 0 TRLR end-of-file tag.

The GEDCOM specs default is not to support dates for NAME tags and for NOTE tags.

The next update of TMG will have an enhanced GEDCOM export option that will include custom _DATE tags for NAME tags and NOTE tags.

Thanks for that info, Jim. I just learned something new. I do have the 0 TRLR end-of-file tag and did not know about the specs default on the NAME and NOTE tags.