RuthAppleby

TMG v.9.0.3 very slow and hanging

I am running Windows 7 Pro v.6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. I have two databases running - one on an HP laptop, and another on an HP desktop. Both hard drives are regularly defragged, and "cleaned up".

I find that the program frequently hangs during all kinds of procedures - selecting a person from the picklist, saving data, using the "Master" lists, adding sources etc. I have run the provided maintenance programs on both machines - file integrity validation, reindexing, etc. There are 14,200 individuals in the database. I have always had the Accent, and auto relationship facilities running, hitherto without problem.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to suitable remedies for the situation.

Edited by RuthAppleby

Ruth -

What other programs are normally running at the same time?

On what criteria is the accent based - a filter or a flag? An accent based on a filter can cause a slowdown; a flag is more efficient.

Virginia

Thanks or the reply Virginia. I have always used most of the facilities that TMG has to offer, ever since v.4. It is only recently that the program has "hung" so badly, so I don't think the type of accent in use is pertinent. I wondered if there was a problem caused by a recent Windows update.

Ruth

I am running Win7 Pro with current updates and flag accents and have not noticed a slowdown. If an accent is based on a filter, that filter must be run very time you are making changes in the database. An accent based on a Flag does not have that problem. Have you tried running TMG without the accent and again without IE to eliminate those possibilities? What 'background programs' are running - cloud service like Dropbox, automatic backup, anti-virus (McAfee?) ?

Virginia

Just to be clear, Ruth, you mentioned having "auto relationship facilities running". Actually that would have no affect, since auto relationship does not "run". The auto relationship tags are only created and calculated once, when you turn it on. The tags are not recalculated until you either turn it off and then back on, or you click the "Refresh relationships" button in "Preferences / Project Options / Other". Thus this facility can have no affect on the running of TMG.

The fact that it does not automatically refresh is why users often find that is not current, and why some of us have a custom button on our toolbar to turn it off and then back on so it will refresh.

Ruth,

Do you have the Project Explorer filtered? and/or do you have the Project Explorer "linked to other Windows". Both of those features can cause TMG to run slower to accomplish those actions.

I've turned off all Accents and it runs as it should now. However, there seems little point in having these facilities if you can't use them. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'm going to have to look for another program, now that TMG will not longer be supported after this year. Just wish the system behind it worked better....

Ruth -

I have found no slowdown with accents based on Flags, and it takes just a few minutes to set them up. Here is a link that might help:

Here are examples of Flag accents used in my layouts:
and a video (no sound) of the process of setting Flag accents here:
Virginia

Ruth -

If you notice that the colors in those videos are different from the accent colors in the standard color lookup table in TMG, it is because many of us have set up more subdued custom colors to use in accents and charts. There is info on how to customize the colors in the TMG color lookup table here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=11267

Ask if you have questions -

Virginia

I think I'm going to have to look for another program, now that TMG will not longer be supported after this year.

Yes, Ruth, you "could" look for another program, but as many TMG users have remarked, TMG will continue to work unchanged for many years on modern Windows systems. As for support, I fully expect the user-run TMG-L email-list to continue providing user-to-user support for many years. And WhollyGenes has indicated that it will continue to provide this Forum as a place for continued user-to-user support for some time after the first of the year. (For example both Virginia and I are just volunteer users.)

So don't feel you have to run and look for another program just yet. I plan to give other products time to add TMG-like features to entice us TMG users (which some have announced is already in development) before I start looking to change.