Joe Cummings

reconnecting VCF with TMG V9.03

Windows 7 Home Premium and TMG V9.03.

Have been able to generate charts with this version. Had left V8 installed after installing V9 and then 9.03 .Decided to uninstall V8 via the uninstall/install windows function. After I did that, could not longer generate charts with 9.03. VCF is still installed since I can take previously generated charts and bring up VCF for those charts ok. Appears I have lost the connection between 9.03 and VCF. What is the best way to recover from this problem?

Reinstall v8. It looks like uninstall must remoove a registry entry that v9.03 relies on.

If that doesn't work, I don't know.

RobinL

Do not reinstall v8. Why would you install v8 to restore a v9 registry setting?

You should first run the v9.03 installer and select repair.

If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall v9.03.

Thanks for the responses.

Tried the "repair" and no luck.

Did the "uninstall" then "install" still no luck (did not restart between the two activities.

The "tmg9setup.exe" was used. It displays it is for V9.03 and is 46.5 MB in size. By the way, properties shows it on C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist V9 Installer\Update. Cannot find ProgramData folder on C:

Joe -

Re 'cannot find ProgramData folder on C:' - make sure you have the Windows Explorer option set to show hidden files and folders:

Start / Control Panel / Appearance and Personalization / Folder options / Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Tick that option in Advanced Settings and click OK.

Virginia

Virginia,

Can now see the Program Data folder and its sub-folders. Thanks. Using windows 7 Home Premium. The steps to do the change are: Start / Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab / Show hidden files, folders and drives.

It appears that my TMG9-VCF connection problem is gone. Just tried running the latest version again and can now generate new VCF charts. I really have no idea what "fixed" the problem. Only possibility is that I run Novastore Backup which is running all the time in the background. I have encountered some strange things like an open window is closed or I am typing in a lot of info and look up and not all the text has been taken. That may be the "problem". Thanks all for your advice.

"Only possibility is that I run Novastore Backup which is running all the time in the background."

Programs running all the time in the background which can be touching TMG files while TMG is running often have been the cause of problems with TMG. I highly recommend either stopping Novastore while you are running TMG. Or better is to find a configuration within Novastore to tell it to never look in or touch the TMG data folders.

Michael,

Have been thinking of doing just that for other reasons; however, have localized the problem with the "connection". A while ago discovered that the connection was fine for everyone in the data base except for one area! It is a family in which mother of the wife of brother "X" married brother "Xs" brother. Will have to work on that.

Just a final update. The problem was the image I used for one of the persons in the chart was a 16 bit image. Evidently, VCF requires 8 bit images only. When I activated the Descendant chart, momentarily the grayed image of a VCF empty chart would appear. Then several seconds later would get message that VCF was not responding. That was the symptom of this problem.