Sign in to follow this  
ggilbert1

Open older project file in newer version

I have been asked help someone who stopped using TMG some time ago, like v. 5 or 6. They have what appears to be the folder with project files, but not a backup (.sqz) file. Is it possible to open a v 5 or 6 project in v 9 or 8? I have install files & unlock codes for 5, 6, 7, & 8 and an old XP computer I can use if I have to go that route. The ultimate goal is a GEDCOM for import into Legacy.

The folder does have a lot of files so hopefully everything that comprises a functional project is included.

The first goal will be checking to see if we have a working project and create a backup .sqz file, will probably hold off on the GEDCOM until we have 9.04(+?) with the extra GED options.

TMG 5 or TMG 6 projects will require backups to restore.

The backup is a ZIP file so you can edit it.

Try this. Make a dummy backup. Delete all of the files. Add all the files from the project that you would like to restore to the same folder in the backup. Then restore the project. I see no reason that wouldn't work.

If you can restore the project, update it, and make a backup, send me the backup and I'll make a GEDCOM and send it back.

Hi Glenn,

I have a working version of V6.12.000 on my XP machine. If you zip all the files and send them to me I probably can create a SQZ for you.

I may even have an earlier working version on a WinNT box.

Robin

Thank you Jim & Robin both of you have given me an idea that might work. Using Windows 8 compress utility create a .zip from the old project folder, change the extension to .sqz and attempt a restore in 9.03 and see what happens. If that fails I'll try following Jim's suggestion of starting with a dummy backup. If that fails I'll either install 6.12 or send Robin a .zip file. The person may want to look the project over so I may just go ahead and install 6.12 anyway.

I don't have access to the project folder right now, it will be Monday or Wednesday before I see the person again.

Thanks again.

Robin - Could I send you a zip file that I believe is from version 6? I would like to get it to the current version I use (TMG 9). I have the previous version (TMG 8) but can't seem to get the data from the 6 version. Thanks for your help. Gary Rolph, Manchester NH USA

Gary

The method outlined by Jim Byram making a dummy project and replacing files worked for me.

I made a backup of the sample project, changed the file extension to .zip opened it with Windows, worked my way down through the folders until I got to the project folder, deleted all the files, then copy & pasted ALL the files from the 'old' project folder in. It is not necessary to ZIP the old project folder, in fact I wound up having to extract the .zip file from the person I'm helping, so you can just copy & paste from old project folder into the dummy backup project folder. Windows will compress them, when it finished I changed the extension back to .sqz and restored to a new folder to keep things separate.

It turned out that the project I was asked to assist with had internal exhibits so the .zip file was 26+Mb.

As things stand now I installed V 8.08 on the persons computer, they are wanting only select people and do some clean-up prior to making a GEDCOM, so they have some work to do.

I received a Zip from Gary. It was an incomplete set of files, missing the PJC and all files relating tp _$ persons, _N names, and _P places. However, there is a lot of useful research information that can be seen via DBF browser.paricularly under sources, citations and exhibits. I have asked him to see whether the other files are still extant.

RobinL

Deeper invetigations revieled that this was set of files with very simalr naming conventions as does TMG,

But it infact was created by Roots Magic 3.0 (circa 2004). I have been able to open it and then export a 4.3Mb Gedcom from it and that Gedcom is on its way back to Gary. A good outcome alround, as he now has most the the data (I don't what doesn't get exported from RM3), but it also proves there was nothing strange about TMG v9.

RobinL