familyprayer

Can an older version be purchased? Do I want 8 or 9?

I had considered purchasing an updated version of TMG this summer, and just read the announcement of it being discontinued. I need to move on this before Oct 1st.

I still want to purchase it. But having read over another posting under TMG v.9.3 is not working, I am wondering if an older version is a possibility? In that post, a member suggested V8.08 specifically. Just tried calling support line, it is super busy. I am guessing 8 is not available for purchase... so are folks here here content with 9 and its changes? Or do they prefer 8? Why?

UPDATE- Got to speak to support line. Cannot buy an older version. Only newest.

Edited by familyprayer

Familyprayer

You will want the latest version - and it is important to keep your v9 updated if future changes are made. You can do this by downloading the trial version from the Wholly Genes site.

TMG 9.03 is working fine for me. I prefer it to v8.08. There have been problems for a few people with v9 in the 'Check for an Update' option in TMG, but to be safe, when an update comes out, simply uninstall your v9 from the Control Panel and install the full trial version (always the latest version).

Virginia

Familyprayer,

Version 9 works fine, and includes several helpful updates and some bug fixes.I would think you would want them, and also if you do consider moving to another program someday, doing so from the latest version of TMG should be the most successful.

I don't know what you found about TMG 9 not working, but most of the current issues are around Windows 8 removing the unlock codes and requiring it to be re-entered. This is caused by Windows 8, and so far as I know applies equally to older versions of TMG as well. There is a fix for that which has been posted here often.

I totally agree with Virginia's advice. Definitely get the latest version. The major problems have not been with TMG itself, but with recent OS issues. Other than the one issue Terry mentions, there have been users running background programs which monitor and/or backup all files in real-time. Such monitoring programs can harm the files of any database program, not just TMG, which is actively running and using its files. And such monitoring programs will interfere with files of any TMG version, not just 9. It simply seems that current OS updates turn on such programs by default, and monitor all disk files by default. Configuring them to not monitor TMG files resolves the issue.