Sign in to follow this  
familyprayer

Before I buy V9.......

I need to be sure V9 will work with my present system. I have a 32 bit XP operating system. I believe my computer meets the basic system requirements as stated online. Does anyone use V9 on an XP system like mine without problems? I have no desire to switch operating systems at present, and I do not plan to have my software "talk to the internet." I prefer working offline so no desire to use certain features that "link."

Also, would you recommend GOLD over the SILVER edition? I am hoping to grow in my use and knowledge of features and think GOLD would be preferred, especially since I won't be able to upgrade later. Which version do you use and prefer? Is SILVER ok for most users?

I guess I am a bit squeemish about making a purchase days before it's discontinuation, but I have an older version that I love and wish I had upgraded sooner. My concern also pertains to the questions I might have as time progresses, but I can see this forum is very helpful. Also, I have acquired the 4 DVD set some time ago which should help also.I hate to pass up V9 if it is indeed superior to other genealogy programs.

Thank you all for your comments.
Carol

Carol,

I have run (well, tested) TMG 9 on an XP system and it works fine. I would suggest your buy and use it. There are a few new features that you might find useful, and some bugs have been fixed since the older versions. And, should you someday decide to change to another program I think you will likely get the bet import by working from the latest version of TMG.

There is a list of the differences between the silver and gold edition on the WG website. I think the biggest one is the ability to output reports to a word processor. I think that is essential when you get ready to produce some reports to put your work into a form others can read. It lets you adjust formatting and edit the text, remove or re-arrange text, and generally get the output in the best shape.

Carol,

My main genealogy computer is a 32 bit XP operating system. I have had no problems using all the versions of TMG on this system.

I would strongly recommend purchasing Version 9 in the Gold version. It may have features you won't use. But that version will have all the available features, and you are likely to use some if not many of the more advanced features.

From the TMG page on the Wholly Genes website:

"Major upgrades (e.g., v8->v9) are no longer available. Full installers and free/minor upgrades (e.g., v9.00->v9.04) are still available as described below."

You could contact WG and ask. Or you can see if a reseller still has copies available.

From the TMG page on the Wholly Genes website:

"Major upgrades (e.g., v8->v9) are no longer available. Full installers and free/minor upgrades (e.g., v9.00->v9.04) are still available as described below."

You could contact WG and ask. Or you can see if a reseller still has copies available.

Thanks, I've managed to order a copy on CD from Gould Genealogy!

I need a copy of TMG 9 and I can't find any way to order it on Wholly Genes.

I saw the note about about Gould Genealogy but I looks like they are in Australia and I'm in the US.

Any other ideas on where to get one?
I currenty am running TMG 8.

I'd buy it from the UK or Australia before it's too late. All you need from the seller is the registration information. You can download the installer from the Wholly Genes web site.

Thanks. I tried Gould in Australia and initially thought I bought one, but the came back latter to say they were all out.

Any idea of who to try in GB?

Thanks. I tried Gould in Australia and initially thought I bought one, but the came back latter to say they were all out.

Victorian GUM Inc still has TMG 9.01 Gold available.

TWR are only selling UK Gold v8.

Victorian GUM Inc still has TMG 9.01 Gold available.

TWR are only selling UK Gold v8.

TWR have stoped selling any TMG versions. :-((

I ordered it from Victoria GUM on the 12th and they debited my credit card, so that was good.

Now I'm just waiting to hear that it has shipped or is on the way from OZ....

Haven't heard any more as of the 20th...