Helmut Leininger

Discontinuation of TMG - Direct Import to RootsMagic ?

Helmut,

I do not have experience with RM in this regard, but I also see that Legacy Family Tree claims it is working on a direct import as well. From Legacy (9/22):

Legacy Family Tree will soon import files from The Master Genealogist software

Recently Bob Velke, producer of The Master Genealogist software, announced that his software would be discontinued. TMG, as it is known, was one of the first genealogy software programs I personally used before switching to Legacy Family Tree. We wish Bob and family the very best.

We have been working really hard and are getting close to releasing an update to Legacy that will directly import TMG files (no GEDCOM necessary). We are working hard to make the import to Legacy as seamless as possible to limit the amount of post-import cleanup that may be necessary. If you are a TMG user looking for new software, give our free edition a try at www.LegacyFamilyTree.com. Import your GEDCOM and see what you think of Legacy. We think you will enjoy both the simplicity and the power of Legacy. Then watch for our upcoming announcement of the free update to Legacy we will issue which will provide the direct import.

I am sure these companies and other are anxious to gather up new customers.

As a suggestion, you might be interested in getting the best pricing possible. RM is still offering special pricing to PAF (the discontinued software from the Church of Latter Day Saints) users ($10 off). I think anyone can get this discount. Perhaps they will welcome TMG users with a discount as well. Also, at Christmas time, a discount is almost always available from several genealogy companies as an incentive.

As some others have stated, it would be ideal if another firm would take over TMG and continue to further develop and support it.

Another thought- Read RM Forums for discussions on this transfer. Here is one link I found, and there may be others as well.

http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/14097-tmg-migration-forum/

Carol

Edited by familyprayer

There are a couple of issues with tag import using RootsMagic 6.3.3.0. You should wait for the next version before testing. I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing happens again. The TMG database is very complex and users find creative ways of entering data. As examples of these sorts of data are encountered, the import can be adjusted.

Rootsmagic 6.3.3.1 has been released and deals with the issues mentioned above.

You should read carefully the import document.

And Tom Holden has written a number of SQLLite queries to work with the imported database.

http://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.wikispaces.com/space/content?tag=TMG

Edited by Jim Byram

Helmut,

I would agree with Jim that waiting for the next version would be prudent. As Jim correctly points out, TMG database is very complex.

As soon as I posted my thoughts that RM might offer some special for TMG users, they posted this today:

http://rootsmagic.com/tmg/

If you download their TMG Moving Guide on PDF (link at bottom of that page), there is quite a list of "known issues" that RM is aware of.

Carol

Hello Helmut,

I encountered your name several times and if I am correct you speak German :-) I translated TMG into Dutch and have a few hundred Dutch users gathered during the last 12 years...

I downloaded the previous "free" RM (the one with the gedcom import) first thing I noticed : whichever program claims to be a valuable alternative for TMG will have to do the import directly! Gedcom is NOT doable...

Second thing and maybe as important as import is the language issues! TMG runs in German, Dutch, Norwegian, French and many more. I do not ask to RM or FH or Legacy will run in other languages than English but at least the reports will have to be in other languages than English otherwise switching from TMG to another program is not one step back but running backwards.

It is a good thing that other companies are trying to make an alternative for TMG but at this time there is no valuable alternative for the combination TMG+TMGUtil+SecondSite!

RM and Legacy are offering a "competitive" upgrade price and I understand them because business is business :-) Wholly Genes did the same offer when Ultimate Family Tree stopped development years ago but TMG5.a those days did a complete direct import of an UFT project nothing was lost! If I read the TMG moving guide of RM I get cold sweat <grin> at this time I will have to much cleanup work after import to switch.

Kind regards

Harry

Hi Harry,

I fully second your opinion (besides SecondSite which I do not use). At least Legacy Family Tree is available in several languages (also in Dutch and German).

Cleaning up after the import is one thing (ususally done only once). But missing features is something else.