maldin

Lost TMG UK ver 7

HI,

After a number of years I have now decided to get back into TMG and continue with further investigations into my ancestry. I previously used TMG Ver 7 UK edition. I have all my projects backed up in both version 6 and version 7 so it is a simple matter of restoring the backups. I thought I had the complete TMGW program including the exe file on a removable hard drive. When I clicked on the exe file a message "cannot locate the Microsoft Virtual FoxPro support library" pops up. :ohno: Having searched for various fixes it appears that the only real solution is to re-install TMG. How can I download a copy of TMG ver 7 from the website. I have the original serial number. I appreciate that we are now up to ver 9 but I'm reluctant to purchase the later version as sadly TMG will cease to be upgraded although I understand that support will continue for some time. If necessary I will purchase ver 9 if it is available in UK format and will stick with it until an alternative FHS software company can safely import my project files without errors.

Any help appreciated

Mal

Hi Jim and Michael,

Thanks for your prompt replies to my question, it's much appreciated. Although I mentioned I had backup files in both Ver 6 and Ver 7 this was correct in the case of my wife's research but I'm afraid mine was all converted to Ver 7. Thanks for the link to Ver 6 but I have not downloaded it as the file appears to be supplied from dl20.filekicker.net? , are both the site and the file safe. I will still have the problem of how to upgrade from Ver 6 to Ver7 so look at my own research. If I can't locate the Ver7 then a purchase of the latest version seems to be the only option.

Mal

Hi again Jim & Michael,

I have my original copy of ver6, I have just installed it on my old laptop that is running XP. The program installed no problem, opens in trial version ok,

When I enter my original details and original serial number it returns the message Registered details invalid etc. I know my registered name and serial number are correct and my email address has never changed. Any ideas on this one?

Mal

I updated the UK download URL above.

Every version has a different registration number. If you don't have a record, you can contact Support and Dorothy will send your registration information.

Hi Jim,

Have sent of an email to Dorothy to try and sort out my Ver 6 licence number problem. I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned that you have installed and ran Ver 7 in Windows 8.1. I tried loading my Ver 7 into windows 8.1 and received the following message "cannot locate Microsoft visual FoxPro support library. Any ideas?

Mal

Yes. I use TMG v7.04 under Windows 8.1 with all os updates.

What do you mean you "loading my Ver 7 into windows 8.1"? You ran the TMG7 installer and installed the program?

If you get an error message, you need to quote it exactly. There are some necessary fixes to get TMG7 working correctly.

Hi Jim,

Sorry, loading is a term used for installing software into PLC's. should have said "I tried installing my Version 7 into windows 8.1" and received the following message as soon as I clicked on the tmg7.exe file which said and I quote "Cannot locate the Microsoft visual FoxPro support library" whether this message was initiated by TMG7 or Windows 8.1 I don't know but that was as far as the install progressed.

Mal

The install has completed. You appear to be talking about running the program.

And this is in a normal Windows environment, not under a virtual machine such as parallels on the mac, right?

I'll need to consult to determine which piece of VFP that message might be referring to.

You should try the following...

Run a Command Prompt as administrator.

First locate: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe

Right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator'.

Enter the following command line and hit 'Enter'

c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\syswow64\vfp9r.dll

That should say the dll is registered.

Now try to run TMG7.

Edited by Jim Byram

Hi Jim,

There seems to be a misunderstanding. TMG Ver 7 does not install. As soon as I click on the TMG7.exe file to install the program the following message appears .

"Cannot locate Microsoft FoxPro visual support library" and that's as far as it goes, nothing gets installed.

I'm running 64bit Windows Version 8.1 with all the latest updates installed.

Mal

"I'm running 64bit Windows". That may be the problem. Version 8 was released specifically to work on a 64bit OS, since at least parts of Version 7 would not. However, I believe you can run Version 7 in 32bit compatibility mode on a 64bit system. You might try that.

The installer is not named "TMG7.exe". That is the name of the executable TMG7 program file. The program must be installed before the program file can be run.

The installer that I gave you the download link for is named "tmg7uksetup.exe".

Hi Jim,

Used the installer link and everything appears to be working fine, I've loaded it into my desktop running the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1, will try the same installer on my laptop that is running 32 bit version of Windows 8. I took Michaels advice and purchased TMG ver 9 as there appears to be nothing out there at the moment that comes near to TMG. Will install it over Ver 7 on the desktop later, but will leave Ver 7 on my laptop for the near future.

Mal

Since Version 7 and Version 9 are enough different, I would suggest you change to and get used to Version 9 as soon as possible.

Not with TMG itself, or Version 9. But problems can be caused by also running some program in the background, like an automatic backup/mirroring program or a real-time virus checker, which monitors/touches/backs-up TMG files while TMG is running. Be sure to exclude all the TMG folders (or any folders of a database program) from actions by such programs. That is the most common issue I have seen reported for any version of TMG, and such programs seem to be more prevalent in running and including all disk folders by default in Windows 8 and 8.1.

Will install it over Ver 7 on the desktop later

I'm concerned about what you mean. TMG7 and TMG9 are different programs. You would never want to overwrite a TMG7 installation with a TMG9 installation.

I didn't update from ver 7. Realised that in my rush to purchase Ver 9 before the deadline of Sep 30 I'd purchased the complete install version. I installed it on my desktop running the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1. Install seemed trouble free and everything seems to be working fine. I consequently decided to install it on my laptop running 32 bit version of Windows 8 enterprise and everything also seems to be working fine. Thanks guys for all your input

This is a common misunderstanding. For some time now the TMG program releases have not been true "updates" containing only the changes to the program. All releases have been full and complete installers. If the new full installer is for the same major version of TMG which is already installed on that computer (e.g. the installer for V7.04 when you already have V7.01 installed), it will completely replace that existing older version. But if you do not already have that major version installed (e.g. have a V7 version installed but installing V9), the new full installer will install as a completely separate program and leave the older version untouched. That will give you both major versions installed.

Once you have a newer version installed, you should now upgrade your project data files to the new version.

Hope this helps explain,