Sign in to follow this  
leohare

vfp error in TMGv7 after installing TMGv9

I've been running TMGv7 since it was first available. Decided that I'm in for the long haul, so downloaded and installed v9; checked for update and installed v9.04. Sample project works fine. Went to start v7 to backup my projects and customizations in order to restore into v9 and received Visual FoxPro error:

"Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ date time. Error log file: C:\program files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9\vfp9rerr.log"

v7 will not run. v9 is fine. no such error log file or similar exists in v7 or v9 directories.

I believe that I read in a post that I could merely copy my projects to the proper folder (or I could use an older .sqz file to restore), but I would like to run v7 to get my customizations, and also open both versions side by side to confirm/transfer settings in Preferences.

thks

The error log should be in the file system VirtualStore. But it won't help.

There is no reason installing v9 should break the v7 installation.

I would run the TMG7 installer and see if that repairs your TMG7 installation. You just reinstall over the top of the existing installation.You can download the v7.04 installer here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

Version 9 and Version 7 are completely different programs and should be installed in completely different folders, which they will do by default. You didn't tell the installer to install Version 9 in the same folder as Version 7, did you? That would cause problems.

Michael has a point. I now see that the error message is being written to the v9 folder and that is really strange.

You had a perfectly functional TMG7 installation that you didn't need to mess with.

I would consider reverting to a restore point or system backup made before the TMG9 installation to try and recover your TMG7 installation.

After that, do a TMG9 installation using the 'trial' version installer downloaded from the Wholly Genes website.

Jim, Michael - your ideas and comments are much appreciated.

Yes, I installed v9 into a new directory (to keep v7 around for a while). Odd that v7 error message is tagged for v9 folder.

The restore point is a great idea; that hopefully will get me a working v7 with customizations; also appreciate the link for the v7.04 install; I didn't really want to attempt to reinstall from my source cd. Will attempt recovery tonight.

Jim - interesting that you suggest a new install of v9 from the trial version; any particular reason?

thanks guys.

If you do a system restore to before TMG9 was installed, you won't have a TMG9 installation.

The installer from the Wholly Genes website will give you the latest version and that is what you should be installing.

Update: Well, after two attempted system restores (both failed with errors, two different restore points), a Restore Undo (incomplete), and another failed restore at a third restore point (!), I checked my programs and I had a working version of TMGv7! I was able to back up all my projects, and customizations. I intend to run for a couple of days to confirm other noted programs affected (or not) by failed restores are OK. Will then re-do install of v9.

Update: So system seems stable after a couple of days, other than some missing MS updates caused by my restore. I downloaded the trial TMGv9.04; installed and started fine. Started v7 and received original error as previously reported. Seems obviously related to v9 install breaking v7 references to Visual FoxPro files. Decided to use Control Panel to uninstall v9; OK. Attempted start of v7 and received "cannot locate MS Visual FoxPro support library". I am unfamiliar with MS VFP, so will do some further searching on VFP (which is no longer supported by MS) but there might be some forums.

Strange. I have a v7 installation on two systems and have installed v9 dozens of times and have never gotten a problem with the v7 installations.

The file is most likely vfp9r.dll.

Try this...

1) Close TMG

2) Click on the Windows button
3) Type "cmd" (no quotes) in the "Search programs and files" field.
4) cmd.exe should appear at the top of the list. RIGHT-click on it and choose "Run as administrator" (very important!)
5) type: c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\syswow64\vfp9r.dll and press enter.
6) Type "Exit" and press Enter to close the window (or click on the X if that works)

Now try the TMG7 installation.

(That might not help.)

Much appreciated.

The 're-registering' of vfp9r.dll worked. This makes (some) sense, as I used the Control Panel Uninstall of v9, and this .dll must not have been tagged as a shared file also required by my v7 installation. TMGv7 now works. Thanks.

The unregister of cdintf400.dll failed; not sure what the implications might be for using v7.

I'm going to take snapshots of my v7 Preferences, then do a clean install of v9 (this has always worked); if I can't run both programs, then I'll make the definitive move to v9 and use my shots to update Preferences.

again, thanks.

You should not need to mess with cdintf400.dll. That is why I revised the instructions above and removed it.

(I left a line that should have been removed and fixed that.)

Edited by Jim Byram

Update (final?):

The re-register of vfp9r.dll got my v7 back, did new project backups and I took screenshots of Preference settings. I installed v9 from a fresh download of the trial TMGv9.04. I restored all my projects into TMG9 directories, and all worked fine. I tried to start v7, and was back to the original error!

I have a working v9 with all my projects and customizations, and will abandon v7. I've backed up the v9 install file to CD, created fresh project backups in v9, and now I expect to be on v9 for a long time.

thanks to all, and much appreciate the support network.

I am new to the Forum although not new to TMG. Now unable to run TMG at all for the first time. Following installing V9.04 Gold UK I am also suffering a loss of FoxPro but symptoms are slightly different and the fix mentioned above did not work as c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\syswow64\vfp9r.dll produced the response "target not found" (possibly because I have 32bit Windows?).

My system is 32-bit Windows 7.

Attempts to run TMG 9 produce the following Error report:-

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 11/01/14 05:57:40 PM. Error log file: c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v9 \VFP9Rerr.log

Called from - autostartdis line 85 { C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist V9\common\programs\autostartdis.prg aurostartdis.fxp}

Called from - tmgmain line 176 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist V9\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v9\tmg9.exe

Any ideas would be appreciated. At least my backup files appear to still exist!

The instructions above only work on 64-bit Windows.

The command line for a 32-bit Windows installation would be:

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\vfp9r.dll

Thanks for advice Moderators although not entirely successful in my case.

I now have a V8 and a V9.03.

The V8 can't load the "pjc" because it was created by a later version of TMG. Neither can it load a "sqz" backup because that triggers the "FoxPro" problem.

The V9.03 loads and runs the current "pjc" and as far as I can tell all the data is fully accessible. However I cannot backup/restore or backup on exit as each again triggers the "FoxPro" error.

The V9.04 installs but will not run triggering the "FoxPro" error immediately on attempting to run.

I have run the 32-bit cmd.exe solution with apparent success at various times before and after loading, uninstalling or reinstalling TMG V9.03 or V9.04 but with no impact on the "FoxPro" problem.

The fact that I made the crucial error of running the 64-bit cure originally may, I suppose, have left something undesirable in the registry although the response to the command was that the file was "not found".

Any further help would be most welcome as I can add/subtract data at V9.03 level but I can't backup or restore, which is a fairly crucial requirement.