juliasturgis

Sad Demise of TMG and possible alternatives

It's very sad that TMG will be no more, as I've been using it for years and have been very happy with it. However, needs must and I'm now looking for a replacement ... current considerations (as a UK user, with a primarily UK based family) are Legacy, Family Historian and Family Tree Maker. Anybody have any recommendations or information on any problems with any of the above ... I'd be very grateful.

Hi,

In my opinion you should still wait, at least some months until further developments have been made. At least, the product must be able to directly import from TMG else you would loose too much information.

What I have seen until now (from very short tests):

Family Historian has direct import, but it is very buggy (sources linked to wrong persons etc.). Besides that, it uses a GEDCOM file for its "database" and I doubt that it will be ableto support most of the TMG features .

Legacy has not direct import yet, but is planning to do so. It seems to have some features of TMG, but I have not done an investigation.

RootsMagic has direct import (since two weeks), but still lacks on many features of TMG and "Ease of Use" or clarity of the desktop layout.

Anyway, before making a decision, you should play with their demo (or trial) versions to see what is best for your data and your working method.

I agree with Helmut. Wait. TMG is not dead, it is just being frozen with no future development. It will continue to work as is for years to come. (But be sure you have Version 9, as today is the last chance to buy it from WhollyGenes.)

As for alternatives, Wait. Other programs are working on direct imports, and adding TMG-like features, but they aren't there yet. Give their developers time to enhance them.

Subscribe to the TMG-REFUGEES mail list http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/TMG-REFUGEES to hear what other prospective émigrés are discussing and partake therein. Members have also started a website to collect info on various alternatives to TMG; it's at https://sites.google.com/site/tmgrefugees/ and you can subscribe to become a contributor.