Gorman

Problem updating from 9 to 9.04 under Parallels v9 (installation log file error)

Hi,

I get an error message:

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writeable."

The installation fails, so I'm stuck on 9.00.

Running Parallels 9.

I'm guessing the path is different than the installer assumes. Is there an easy workaround?

Thanks,

Dave Gorman

I have the same issue upgrading from 9.03. I followed instructions trying to download the file and save it (from another thread) which did not work because there is no option to 'save as'--only to run. Then I restored windows 8.1 to the day before (TMG 9.03) and tried to upgrade in the normal fashion from inside TMG (Help>Check for an Update) and got the error code above, and sent this Help request to TMG:

"Error opening installation log file...". I was unable to find a ny log file, and checked under the Program files.

I have not heard from TMG Support.

Bruce

1) You always want to download the installer. Never try to run the installer from your browser.

You should be able to save the installer to disk from any browser. With Chrome, you click on the link and the file downloads. You don't need to do anything. Sounds like you are using Internet Explorer. I just tried Internet Explorer and had buttons to [Run], [save] and [Cancel]. Or Safari?

2) You want to use the downloaded installer, not 'Check for an update'.

Hi,

I get an error message:

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writeable."

The installation fails, so I'm stuck on 9.00.

Running Parallels 9.

I'm guessing the path is different than the installer assumes. Is there an easy workaround?

Thanks,

Dave Gorman

I'd suggest copying the setup file tmg9setup.exe from the Mac Downloads folder to the Windows Downloads folder (or any folder in user space on the Windows side). If you are running Win 8 in your virtual machine run the setup as administrator, it probably wouldn't hurt to run it as administrator in Win 7 or XP. To run as administrator instead of double clicking, right click and choose Run as administrator from the context menu. You may have to uninstall 9.0 first.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

Thank you Jim! I had used Internet Explorer--so I switched to Chrome as you suggested and downloaded to my desktop and ran as administrator and then successfully upgraded to 9.04.

However!...I tried to print a report (first Journal, then Desc. Narrative) and get these error codes:

Locate comdlg32.ocx--(later I found one in Windows explorer, but it has a date of 2000, so I won't try to use that).

I ignored that error, and then got this: "Ole error code 0x80040154: Class not registered. 123 REPORTOBJ.MRUNRPT"

Thank you for your help.

Bruce Barker

The first thing to try is to run the installer again and select [Repair] and let that do its job.

I can give you a specific fix for the "Ole error code 0x80040154" error but need to know what version of Windows you are running.

[Apologies if this message comes twice--I can't tell if it went--I thought I sent it but don't see it on the board.]

Jim, thank you so much. I ran the installer and selected Repair and everything works like a dream--reports are printing and no problems!

I wanted to paste a link to Frank Sinatra's "Blue Skies" but copy and paste doesn't seem to work-or I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks. Running TMG v9.00 as administrator was all that was required to get the update to install. (Running WIn7 in Parallels 9).

Thanks for the help.

Dave Gorman

You are welcome. For future reference to be clear what I think you did.

Right click the TMG icon selected Run as administrator, checked for update and got the 9.04 update installed without problems.