Sign in to follow this  
maldin

Exhibits-internal or external

I'm running TMG ver 9 on both my laptop and desktop, same projects on both. Am I best imputing exhibits into the Exhibit folder (Internal ) or into a specified folder (external). I assume that when I transfer the .sqz file from my desktop to my laptop and restore that the path for the exhibits must be identical on both computers.

When I attach an exhibit for example a census to a primary person. The census will usually contain relatives residing in the same household. Is there an easy way of attaching the exhibit to other persons / relatives in that household without having to attache individually. Any help appreciated.

If you are ever going to use your data for a web site, you want to use external exhibits.

If you are ever going to want to export a GEDCOM with exhibits or have your data imported into another program, you want to use external exhibits.

It is easy to use a common path for external exhibits on multiple systems. They don't need to be in the TMG user data folder.

The problem with having the same exhibit attached to multiple people is that the exhibit will then be output multiple times in reports.

I agree with Jim's recommendation to use external exhibits. Generally you do not want to select the TMG Backup option to include Exhibits in a TMG Backup. It is recommended to backup, move, and restore Exhibits yourself separately outside of TMG using Windows facilities, like WinZip. Exhibits do not tend to change often so don't need to be backed up as often as constantly changing data, and would make a TMG Backup much larger than it needs to be.

When I attach an exhibit for example a census to a primary person. The census will usually contain relatives residing in the same household. Is there an easy way of attaching the exhibit to other persons / relatives in that household without having to attache individually. Any help appreciated.

If the other persons are linked to that event tag as Witnesses, then that exhibit is automatically also linked to those other persons. One of the options on the Exhibits tab for some reports is to "Include event exhibits" and "Include each occurrence". Depending on these options the exhibit will output for each person linked to that event tag.

An added advantage to external exhibits is that you can link the same Exhibit to multiple tags for multiple people without duplicating the Exhibit within TMG internal files. Linking externally only sets a pointer within TMG in each tag to the one external file. If you have the external files in the same folder on both computers, this makes it easy. But you can use the option within Verify File Integrity to easily reset the external Exhibit pointers to a different folder on a different computer.

I use external exhibits for all image exhibits. I only use internal exhibits for text exhibits. And as Jim mentions, if you intend to use SecondSite to create web pages from your TMG project, that program requires image exhibits to be external.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks Jim & Michael, I will follow your advice and link the exhibits to an external file. Will take me some time as I need to scan and then input all my certificates into TMG. This is made more difficult as birth, marriage and death certificates cannot be scanned in one go on my A4/Letter size scanner and they then have to be joined together in a separate program prior to being input into TMG. I have some certificates in PDF format (no idea where these were downloaded from ) but they need to be converted to JPEG before being input into TMG. Still keeps me busy

I'm running TMG ver 9 on both my laptop and desktop, same projects on both. Am I best imputing exhibits into the Exhibit folder (Internal ) or into a specified folder (external).

I agree with everything Jim and Michael said, but I think you have a mis-conception here. Putting the exhibit files in the Exhibit folder does not make them internal. Internal exhibits are copies of your original exhibit files that are stored within the TMG database files, not in the exhibit folder. You cannot see internal exhibits as separate files.

You specify whether new exhibits are to be external or internal in Preferences > Program Options > Exhibits. If you choose internal a copy is made and stored in the Project files. The original is no longer used by TMG. If you choose external only a link to the image file is saved, and the file remains where it was.