kaye

Cannot print report - Cant repair - intallation log error

Using V8- 64 bit Windows 7.

I am not installing new software and out of the blue I went to do a report and I just got 'hung up" (kept working) and then error to say there ws a problem and windows looking for solution. I had used it only yesterday.

Went into programmes and did a repair. Got the message "error opening installation log file verify that the specified log file location exists that you can write to"

Looked at log file and there are error messages there going back a long time but not today.

Also when I tried another report it said one was open and retry but it wasn't. I then closed everything down and reopend TMG.

I only have this window and tmg open.

Did a shut down and problem still there.

Can anyone help please. Single user computer.

Hi Kaye,

This sounds like your computer or TMG has been crashed sometime, leaving behind some lock files that would have normally beeen deleted on a clean close down. Repair does not look at these things, it on looks at indexes and data inconsistencies, not locks and permissions.

Or some background application has set locks for backup, cloud synchronization, etc and not cleanly finished.

Does the problem still occur if you open the Sample project and try to produce a report?

You may have to use something like CCleaner to remove all temp files (and only temp files) as a possible way to overcome this.

I hope someone else can think of another possible cause.

RobinL

Darn. Lost my reply.

Firstly Robin. Cant seem to reply to you.

Yes I think you are right because I am have huge problems with and autoresponder and keep getting hung up and timed out. I just got the report today. ISP checked the speed and it is good as it can be here with our outdated network as you know. I think I need an overhaul. Not me the computer. Well me too.

Virginia.

Thank you I thought support was finished. By the way I saw your profile and I cannot believe dob. You put me to shame.

Cheers

Hi Kaye,

Printer properties are funny things. Recently, I have found that changing the default printer is not propagated correctly to all Windows applications. It is only after changing the default printer, then shutdown, reboot, then open TMG or VCF that VFP sees the change. There is some ghost of the change that is left in memory, so the application does not see the real change until a re-boot.

If you use CCleaner to only clean out temporary files, after that it may take little while longer to load some websites that you visit regularly, but that is a small price to pay. The cache files will be re-established on that next visit. This is the kind of problem that can also happen when your computer crashes when a Word or Excel file is open. Next time you try to open the file, the lock file says that you can only open it in read-only mode. These lock files can be hidden almost anywhere, not to be found by searching (Windows search doesn't see them all). I recently had this problem with a mail merge macro in Word, where the only way to know where to look and delete the lock file was by correponding with someone in Cyprus. That's the Internet for you.

I have never found where TMG/VFP hides its lock files, unlike Word that uses "~$then the rest of file name.docx" in the same folder as the original.docx.

RobinL

Hello Robin

I have found that any technical problems with TMGW seems to right themselves and its generally me - the user. I used the cleaner and it took 5 hours but still have a problem with "get response". It gets hung up and then drops out and now I have 37 unopened family book contacts. I have been 6 weeks cleaning my subscriber list and recontacting everyone and now "get response" sent out my newsletter with skewed photos although they looked good my end. I think they are going to blame my computer but TMGW is good now. I have had it open most days while working on the newsletter so no doubt something to do with the autoresponder. I can now check my internet speed and it is still good.

Although I was part of the first group of TMGW users in our great land I got left behind as far as understanding it goes. Support, especially through Virginia has been so crucial to me. Thanks for recommending CCleaner.

cheers

Hi Kaye,

If CClenaer took that long then you must have a lot of files in its search paths. You probably now have a lot more free space on C: That may have now made TMG work. I am starting to suspect that it could also have been a lack of space on the hardrive. We will never know. As far as your other problems, I presume that you have sent yourself a message with an image back to yourself, either to your usual account or someone elses account that you can see. If you get it back in a clean form then the only thing can something in the header of the message that is causing it to be interpreted differently by others.

I am pleased that we seen have fixed the TMG problem.

RobinL

Hell Robin

That also occurred to me although I forgot to mention it. Thanks for reminding me. I tried to change it but it was so complicated. It does say it comes from a third party although it was sent by my name, (at the very end) people may not have seen this. Also although some people don't know me that well others are close relations or people who do know me. I will ask the company when they ring me . Meanwhile I have another day to wait because of the time difference, I am about to put my head in an oven!!.

Thanks very much

PS. Yes have stacks of space left on the PC. I have only used a fraction as the computer is reasonably new. I was told to defrag and I have that scheduled. I know this wasn't recommended years ago but apparently now it is a good thing to do .I recall I had to close manually because I couldn't get the task manager to open as the autoresponse was hanging but didn't drop out. It virtually froze my other programmes. It went on for an hour before I took this step..