Sign in to follow this  
JohnR

Amend Custom Journal Report

How do I get rid of the phrase "There was no issue of X and Y." gratuitously added in a custom journal report, or amend it to "There was no known issue etc" or even "I can't be bothered to check if they had any kids :naughty: "

There seems to be nothing in Options.

And whilst I am asking stupid questions, I vaguely remember being able to use Roman numeral superscript for sources because it distinguishes from generation numbers, but I can't find that option - or was it just a dream?

John,

There are options on the Miscellaneous tab of report Options that allow you change certain aspects of that statement for all couples in the report. To modify the results for individual couples, including an "I didn't bother to look" statement, you have to use a NarrativeChildren tag for each couple. The default output of that Tag produces essentially the same output as the default statement, so you have to customize it to say something different. You can do this either individually for each Tag, or globally for the Tag Type. If you want a "library" of custom statements you can create Roles for the Tag Type and assign the desired one to each couple.

There is a description of how the NarrativeChildren tag works, and some suggested custom Sentences, in my article Customizing the “Children of” Statement.

When you output a report to Word you can use Word options to change the nature of the citation reference numbers, e.g. to be roman numerals.

There is a description of how the NarrativeChildren tag works, and some suggested custom Sentences, in my article Customizing the “Children of” Statement.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed. You further reminded me that somewhere I have a copy of your Primer and I eventually found it (sitting next to "Getting the Most ...") with a bookmarker of a bank note from a country that I haven't visited for umpteen years - it shows that I seldom RTFM, sorry.

You're welcome John.

In this case reading the books wouldn't have helped. GTMOOTMG per-dates the introduction of the NarrativeChildren tag, and it was considered to advanced a feature for Primer.