wagner

Can not buy Master Genealogist v9 anywhere? Stuck with 8?

I'm confused as to why I can not buy v9.04? I have the latest v8 version and now want to upgrade to v9.04. I am shocked that I can not do that. I can download a full version of the program but that will expire. Right? I need the serial number from when I purchase v9 to keep it going. Right? I can not buy a USA 9 version on plant earth? Right?

I usually buy the CD with the program so If the CD version is not available, I understand that. If the "whole" program is available online and I just need to "buy" a "serial number" then it should be set up that way. I understand the CEO is ill and that is very hard on everyone. I'm confused as to why a system could not be set up to exchange money for a serial number.

I saw a comment from John Cardinal about "us" slow updaters. Is that the attitude ?

I left Family tree because of the annual new versions. I also wanted more details. Your updates have been sometimes free, worth it and not as frequent. You realize many people like myself were able to get others to come this way.

If i'm stuck with v8, then I"m outdated and will need to switch to another program sooner instead of waiting to see how this all turns out. Am I right?

Hope Bob does well

Joan

Librarian

Long Island New York

I saw a comment from John Cardinal about "us" slow updaters. Is that the attitude ?

Joan,

My comments represent my own attitude.

My guess is that you are responding to a post where I wrote, "I hope that there is no discount offered. TMG users who didn't upgrade are a leading cause of the demise of TMG, and it seems plain wrong to reward that behavior now that WG has decided to discontinue it." That was in response to a post by "kenwvt" who asked, "houldn't the upgrade prices be reduced since there is only six months of support left on a discontinued product ?"

Subsequent responses focused on my opinion that "TMG users who didn't upgrade are a leading cause of the demise of TMG" and called me greedy, and naive, and accused me of not doing enough to keep TMG a viable product. I'll ignore those personal attacks here because I responded to them earlier. However, user efcharvet wrote, "Blame TMG's current and former users! -- If TMG were a superior product, or even truly competitive, it would be attracting new users by the carload, and upgrading wouldn't be a question for nearly anyone", and I'll respond to that.

I don't understand how my comment could be interpreted as blaming TMG's current or former users. The current users upgraded, and I was talking about people who didn't upgrade. Also, the subject of my complaint was not "former users", it was "TMG users".

If the intent of efcharvet's comment is to blame Wholly Genes, I disagree. Could Wholly Genes have done some things, maybe even many things, better? Yes, I am sure they could. However, there was little or nothing that was going to expand the market for TMG without turning TMG into something that would not meet the requirements and expectations of its current users. For example, TMG should have supported the Unicode character set. Let's wave a magic wand and make that happen. Do sales increase? Not enough. The barrier to making TMG attractive to a larger market is not the lack of Unicode support or any particular feature or shortcoming. The barrier is the general genealogy market does not place a high value on TMG's professional level features.

So, focusing on TMG users who didn't upgrade...

Clearly, customers are free to decide whether or not to upgrade. While it's up to the publisher to entice them to upgrade, each customer must understand that not upgrading has consequences. The narrow view of those consequences is the user doesn't get the benefit of the new features. If the user decides whether or not to upgrade by comparing the upgrade fee to the fixes and new features, that's short-sighted. That may be a viable approach when buying a product that is easily replaced by a competitive product, but that's not the case with a specialty product like TMG: each paid upgrade was a referendum on the continued existence of TMG, and buying the upgrade was a vote to keep TMG around.

TMG was attractive to a relatively small subset of the genealogy market, researchers who wanted its professional-level features. In my opinion, there is no alternative product that has a competitive feature set. Some other programs do some things better than TMG, but TMG has reasonable alternatives that compete with the strong points of the competitors while the competitors all lack key features of TMG. If you don't agree with that, then you don't value TMG's unique features, and so you probably don't care that TMG is being discontinued.

This situation is similar to the demise of small stores and restaurants in the USA. People complain that something vital is lost when a small downtown store closes, but they don't support the small store by making purchases there before it closes. Instead, they use the big-box chain store out by the highway. That's fine, people can decide where to spend their money, but don't wail when the small store closes and the only alternatives are the cold, impersonal, one-size-fits-all alternatives.

I don't see my original comment as reflecting an "attitude" but rather the financial reality of TMG's small market. I am sure some TMG users who didn't upgrade will argue the point, but some new evidence will have to come to light to change my opinion. Other TMG users who didn't upgrade may say they weren't aware of the situation. Unfortunately, that doesn't change things; the corner store is still closed.

Johnny,

If you had already purchased Version 9 you do not need a CD, you only need your unlock code. You can still download the full installer file from the Wholly Genes site. You can then make a copy of that on to your own CD.

Even if your unlock code was lost with your computer crash (no backup, huh?) you can still download the installer file and contact Wholly Genes (through the end of December) with your basic purchase information and have them re-send you the unlock code.

I'm confused as to why I can not buy v9.04? I have the latest v8 version and now want to upgrade to v9.04. I am shocked that I can not do that. I can download a full version of the program but that will expire. Right? I need the serial number from when I purchase v9 to keep it going. Right? I can not buy a USA 9 version on plant earth? Right?

I usually buy the CD with the program so If the CD version is not available, I understand that. If the "whole" program is available online and I just need to "buy" a "serial number" then it should be set up that way. I understand the CEO is ill and that is very hard on everyone. I'm confused as to why a system could not be set up to exchange money for a serial number.

I left Family tree because of the annual new versions. I also wanted more details. Your updates have been sometimes free, worth it and not as frequent. You realize many people like myself were able to get others to come this way.

If i'm stuck with v8, then I"m outdated and will need to switch to another program sooner instead of waiting to see how this all turns out. Am I right?

Hope Bob does well

Joan

Librarian

Long Island New York

You may perceive yourself as a pusher of buttons. However, you are also slow on the uptake & the seemingly unavailability of v9 is solely your burden. BTW, the tossing of stones in the direction of accomplished TMG contributors is both bad form & taste.

Omigosh! I mostly have just used TMG, use the limited time I have to try to keep up with entering the data I have. But I just saw the message from Bob that it is to be discontinued, and that it is already too late to upgrade from v 8.08, which is what I have. I'm not too clear about what the differences are, but am guessing that whatever resources continue to be brought to upkeep, export (hopefully supporting a fair subset of features I use), will be limited to v9 at best, and will probably not support older versions.

I don't fault Bob, to whom I am grateful for creating such a great product for so long. I just hope there is some way ahead of continuing to use my data in some form, whether it is an emulation of Windows 7/8 within some future platform (usually clunky).

I don't want to wait until my computer eventually crashes, and I have no way to recover my data. I guess I could make regular gedcom backups and whatever reports best capture the data not included in the gedcoms, if I could figure out what that is. I haven't used any genealogy programs but TMG (and Second Site etc.), since starting out with some very primitive programs decades ago in the DOS era, and I dread learning their quirks, especially as reviewers see them as all lacking some of the nicer features of TMG. I have abour 7000 names, 37000 citations, which I know is less than many people, but is daunting to try to even partially recreate.

I know I should have kept up with this, but was busy with other things. I guess there is nothing much to do now except beat myself up for not noticing this earlier.

I am truly appalled by John Cardinal's response about those who don't upgrade being the leading cause of the demise of TMG.

I've been using and upgrading TMG for 20 years, and I check at least once a year for a new version. So I checked last month, only to discover that a new version had been released. I was saddened to read that it was the end of TMG, but absolutely shocked (actually, grossly insulted) to hear that my loyalty over the years had been snubbed and I could not upgrade to the new version.

The "burden" (as mentioned in a previous post) to keep up-to-date is one which for which WhollyGenes must take some of the initiative - particularly if the business model is so dependent on people buying the newest version. Yet, in all the years I've had TMG I've never once had a notification to tell me a new version was available (and yes, I've double checked that my main email address is registered with them, and no, I don't have any anti-spam enabled, and no, I never delete emails so can be sure that I've not been notified).

Sure, if TMG was the only software I ever used, and it was run on my computer every day, I might be expected to check regularly for a new version. But TMG is only one of 86 programs that I use, and then only when I am able to devote the time to continue my research. Even then, at least with TMG, I would never move to the first release of a new version (I've been bitten twice by upgrading in this way).

Programs don't last forever, of course, but to prevent loyal users from upgrading to the final version is truly a disgrace.

Edited by Gotty

Echoing the general gnashing of teeth expressed by others who inadvertently missed the boat (in my case due to deep immersion in research), would anyone know of a means to purchase the final version of TMG at this apparently late date. It seems odd that copies of something so uniquely valuable could not easily be made available for those who want them. None of the alternatives put rigorous source documentation at the center of their design.

I've been using and upgrading TMG for 20 years, and I check at least once a year for a new version.

In my experience with computer software, once a year is way too seldom to check for updates for any software product. But that was your choice.

So I checked last month, only to discover that a new version had been released.

Yes, Version 9 was released the first week of March, nine months ago.

The "burden" (as mentioned in a previous post) to keep up-to-date is one which for which WhollyGenes must take some of the initiative - particularly if the business model is so dependent on people buying the newest version. Yet, in all the years I've had TMG I've never once had a notification to tell me a new version was available (and yes, I've double checked that my main email address is registered with them, and no, I don't have any anti-spam enabled, and no, I never delete emails so can be sure that I've not been notified).

It has been my experience that Wholly Genes has taken considerable initiative to notify users, more than almost any other software company I know of. First, it periodically has sent out newsletters, with examples in 2014 being:

• Feb 2014
  • Mar 2014- announcing Version 9
  • Apr 2014
  • May 2014
  • July 2014 - announcing that Version 9 would be the last version and that sales would end at the end of Sept 2014
  • Sep 2014 - reminding users that sales by Wholly Genes were about to end
  • Nov 2014 - reminding users that Wholly Genes would end sales of their other products at the end of the month
  • Dec 2014 - announcing the final, free, update to Version 9

If users have not made a point to ensure that they receive those newsletters, that is their choice.

The announcement of the new Version 9 was posted on this Forum, with lots of comments and follow up posts from users. If users have not been browsing this Forum that is their choice.

There is an email ListServ at RootsWeb about TMG which is run by users. Wholly Genes has posted to that list at least twenty times in the past year, including announcing every upgrade and every newsletter. One can either subscribe, or simply browse that list on the web without subscribing. If users have not done either, that is their choice.

Finally, the software itself will check automatically for messages which are periodically sent out by Wholly Genes. If users have disabled that automatic notification check, that is their choice.

I would never move to the first release of a new version (I've been bitten twice by upgrading in this way).

I often take the same approach, and that is your choice. But I always buy the new version when it is released, then wait for the free first update before installing. TMG is already on the fifth free update of Version 9. Anyone who has bought Version 9, but has chosen not to install it yet, will be able to download the full installer of the V9.05 update for several months to come, and thus install the final Version 9 whenever they decide.

Programs don't last forever, of course, but to prevent loyal users from upgrading to the final version is truly a disgrace.

I fail to see how Wholly Genes has prevented people from upgrading to the final version. Version 9, which is now known to be the final version, has been on sale for at least 7 months. In almost all other similar circumstances I have encountered, a software company going out of business has simply closed its doors with no notice. Wholly Genes gave about three months notice of shutting down, and is still providing user support (though no sales) through the end of this month.

I am just a user who has volunteered to answer questions on this Forum, but in my opinion Wholly Genes has attempted to communicate regularly and often with its users. If users choose not to listen, that is their choice, but does result in consequences.

...would anyone know of a means to purchase the final version of TMG at this apparently late date.

I do not know if they still have any, but last I heard the following authorized reseller "might" still have some copies. They recommend contacting by email:

Nettplassen tha.no, Norway

Web store: http://www.tha.no

E-mail: tha@tha.no

Mr. Hannah, my extreme gratitude to you for this referral. The site did indeed have a few rapidly disappearing serial number purchases on

the stand-alone, downloadable version 9 (not the upgrade from 8) as of today. Purchasers will need a Paypal account - send $65.00 USD

to Mr. Torleif Haugodegard at tha@tha.no (he speaks English) ASAP.

I and my BCG Standard researched ancestors thank you. Who would think to find the last remaining issues on earth tucked away

in a Norwegian Fjord? I always wanted to tour them, oddly feel I now have...

I am truly appalled by John Cardinal's response about those who don't upgrade being the leading cause of the demise of TMG.

I am not sure why you are appalled. You are not a member of the set of "TMG users who don't upgrade." You were late on the 8->9 upgrade, but that hardly qualifies. The issue for you was that (as Michael illustrated), you did not avail yourself of the various ways to receive TMG-related news. That's understandable, people have different priorities, but do you really expect WG to design the process around your specific idiosyncrasies? There are dozens if not hundreds of factors affecting this process, and I think WG has tried their best to make it as smooth as possible. It's not uncommon for products to disappear with no notice, and that certainly was not the case here.

If you disagree with my assessment of why TMG was discontinued, why don't you offer yours?

I've been using and upgrading TMG for 20 years, and I check at least once a year for a new version. So I checked last month, only to discover that a new version had been released. I was saddened to read that it was the end of TMG, but absolutely shocked (actually, grossly insulted) to hear that my loyalty over the years had been snubbed and I could not upgrade to the new version.

That would be because Wholly Genes, unlike many other vendors, did not regard the possession of your email address as a license to SPAM you with sales messages. They made it very clear that if you wanted to hear from them you should subscribe to their newsletter, which has existed for years. They did announce each upgrade, both free and paid, in the newsletter sent to all subscribers, as well as on this forum and the TMG list on RootsWeb, among other channels. The announcement of the discontinuance of TMG was made in all these channels, and many bloggers and others in the genealogy space repeated it.

I'm hard pressed to understand how they "prevented" you from upgrading. The "smart" business thing to do when it becomes clear that a business venture is not being financially successful it to turn off the lights, close the website, dismiss the employees, and leave customers to read the trade press to figure out what happened. Instead WG spent cash money to send a newsletter to all subscribers notifying them of the pending shut-down. They kept the store open for two more months so customers who wanted to could buy upgrades. They paid cash money, with no offsetting revenue, to development staff to issue two bug-fix releases. They are still paying, through the end of this month, cash money with no offsetting revenue to support staff to respond to user issue. They have paid cash money, with no offsetting revenue, to support the website that provides this forum and makes available downloads of the installers and other files for customers who need them. They have indicated that the forum will continue to be available for some time into the future, at their expense.

Just where is the disgrace?

You don't need a CD. All you need is the installer (which can be downloaded from the top pinned topic in this forum) and valid registration information.

The registration supply is drying up quickly. Work back through the replies in this topic for a few possibilities.

Edited by Jim Byram

I'm coming very late to this party, due to a slew of life events beyond my control, and find myself in a retired v9 world with a v7 product. While I'm saddened at the news of the TMG sunset, and depressed at the fact that I missed the chance to purchase an upgrade, I understand well both the pressures of a fading revenue stream and health issues. Either one could kill a product line. I guess my only surprise is how small an operation Wholly Genes was. I always imagined it as a much larger entity than I guess it was.

Before I hurt myself or my data, what are the pitfalls of downloading, installing and upgrading my v7 database with the current v9 software? Obviously, I can't provide a valid unlock code, but would that inhibit more than me just having to reinstall the product every X-number of days?

Thank you,

David

Before I hurt myself or my data, what are the pitfalls of downloading, installing and upgrading my v7 database with the current v9 software? Obviously, I can't provide a valid unlock code, but would that inhibit more than me just having to reinstall the product every X-number of days?

Reinstalling may or may not work to restart the 30-day countdown.

Reinstalling may or may not work to restart the 30-day countdown.

That's why I'm asking first. It could hide the expiration date in a file on the computer, a registry entry or embed it in the project datafiles.

It's been a very long time since I used a trial version of TMG, if ever. I think I started with TMG v4 Gold.

Am I better sticking with my unlocked v7 instead of trying to use a trial v9?

I don't know/remember the limitations of a trial version of 9. V9 will certainly be better in the long run stability-wise, as it will have been compiled with newer DLLs and other fine bits that have evolved, but I don't need and probably won't use most of the new features in v9. That's really the heart of the reason I didn't immediately upgrade to v8--it wasn't offering any killer features that I couldn't live without.

Thanks,

David

David,

It won't hurt to play with TMG9. It's a different program and does not conflict with TMG7. Be sure to use a v7 backup to restore to v9 and your v7 data and v9 data will be located in different places.

I actually use TMG7 and believe that it is much more stable than any version since. The only shortcoming is the lack of MS Word, WordPerfect and RTF output under 64-bit operating systems.

Jim

David,

Do remember that if you install TMG 9 and add new data in it, you will not be able to open that project in the earlier version. Your TMG 7 Project will remain valid, but will not contain any data you entered in TMG 9.