wagner

Can not buy Master Genealogist v9 anywhere? Stuck with 8?

As former beta tester/translator (Dutch)/dealer I have 4 unlock codes left for TMG9. Interested? contact me off list Harry.Goegebeur@genea.be

Kind regards

Harry

Thank you, Harry. I may just do that. I'm currently weighing the opinion of Jim about v7's stability vs. 8 and 9.

Warm regards,

David

David,

I use TMG v9.05 and it has been very stable. In addition to TMG v7's lack of word processor output under 64-bit Windows, TMG v9.05 has other fixes and features that make it the preferred version. In particular, the change to certain role variables in TMG v9 makes it easer to construct sentences. My free TMG Utility program (TMGU) does not support TMG v7, and while someone may be able to dig up an installer for an old version of TMGU, I do not provide support for it.

If you plan to keep using TMG long-term, get TMG v9 while you have the chance.

I have to agree with John. I've been using TMG 9 since it was released (actually before - I was a beta tester). I've found no stability issues with 9.05, and there are a number of new features since v7 that I find worthwhile, including the one John mentioned.

Same boat as you Dave, still on v7 and apparently delinquent in watching the WG emails since I have not been doing a lot with genealogy the last 18 months ... my loss. Interested in now moving my data off of TMG I guess now. Drat, more pain.

William

Why move off TMG, William? If you can get a license from Harry for V9 I see no need to go to another program. TMG should continue to work for many years to come. However, if you do decide to move off of TMG, I suggest checking out the "TMG Refugees" mailing list here. That list was set up to discuss the issues of moving from TMG to something else.

As far as I know, Harry's four registrations are long gone. Harry said that one person wanted to buy all four but I think that he spread them out to four people.

I did upgrade, but recently had a computer crash, and was able to download TMG. but do not have a disk. When I e-mailed about purchasing one was advised to download the trial version to a disk. Now, that doesn't make sense to me. Is there a way for me to have a disk, in case the web link dries up?

I did upgrade, but recently had a computer crash, and was able to download TMG. but do not have a disk. When I e-mailed about purchasing one was advised to download the trial version to a disk. Now, that doesn't make sense to me. Is there a way for me to have a disk, in case the web link dries up?

Diane,

Sure. Burn your own. And be sure to create a text file with your serial number in it and put it on the same CD.

In other words, Diane, there was nothing special about a disk from Wholly Genes. It simply contained the full installer file, which is the identical file which can be downloaded as the "trial" version. That trial version becomes the full complete version once it is unlocked with the unlock code. So as Terry suggests, just burn the downloaded V9.05 installer file on to your own disk along with a text file containing the unlock code and the name and email address associated with that unlock code. Then you will have everything you need on that disk to reinstall TMG if "the web link dries up".

I guess I'm really coming to this late. Just heard today that TMG has been discontinued. Glad I am running 9.05 though I am having several annoying issues with my picklist not sorting alphabetically beyond last name. And the program is no longer allowing me to add internal exhibits. My thought was going to be doing a backup of my data and then re-installing the software and restoring my data. Now I'm wondering if that is a good idea. Plus I had planned to get a new computer and Windows 10 when it comes out later this year. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Dale,

Hopefully someone else can help you with the two issues you are having with 9.05 - I've not seen nor heard of them.

Reports of several users testing early releases of Windows 10 have said they have had no problem running TMG 9.

You should be prepared for future installations by having a copy of the installer and your serial number in a safe place. You may find my article on The Future for TMG Users useful in this regard.

Dale,

You should probably start new separate posts with appropriate titles so others can comment, but I will try.

...I am running 9.05 though I am having several annoying issues with my picklist not sorting alphabetically beyond last name.

You don't give enough details to make it clear what the problem is. However, if you are using Soundex sorting, there is a remaining issue with that sorting as described in my list of bugs remaining in the final version of the program. See my post for the description and possible workarounds:
http://www.mjh-nm.net/BUGS.HTML#B65

And the program is no longer allowing me to add internal exhibits.

I can only guess, but is it possible you have been adding graphic files as internal exhibits? If so that is a bad idea. There even is the possibility you have reached a maximum file size limit by doing so. For more detailed explanations, see the "Internal versus External Exhibits" discussion in the Style Guide chapter of my on-line book about TMG:
http://www.mjh-nm.net/SRCGUIDE.HTML#ExhibitIntExt

If this does not help enough, start new topics for each problem and you may get more help.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I have the CD TMG9. Is it possible if I duplicated it for someone wanting the CD, that they could use it with their registration number? Just thinking out loud is someone wants the CD. I also have the version 8 CD.

Dale Savell

Aiken, SC

As often mentioned on this Forum, there is nothing special about a CD from Wholly Genes. It simply contains the same full installer file which is available by download. In fact, writing a CD yourself to contain both the installer file PLUS a text file with your unlock code and its matching name and email address is actually a better backup of the program than the Wholly Genes CD which only contains the installer.

I'd only add to what Michael says that if the CD from WG is for a version earlier than 9.05 it is of little value to you or anyone else. You need to have a copy of the latest installer - for TMG 9.05 - as has been said here many times. It's available for download now, but nobody knows how long that will last.

Thanks for the update, Harry, I think the only possible source now is the Roots Users Group. If I recall correctly, they purchased some licenses for possible use by RUG members, with a plan to offer them to non-members if their supply held up. Not sure where that stands.

Hello all,

I found more unused serialnumbers!

They are full TMG 9.05 Gold licenses and work with US and UK versions.

Interested? Contact me off list at harry.goegebeur@genea.be

Just to notice that I will be on a holiday till 9th of October without WiFi

I like TMG better than anything else that I have tried. BAR NONE!!!! I was on an XP computer and the newer versions would not work with XP and I could not afford to replace the computer so that I could use the newer program. I was on 5.11. So finally, the XP bombed and I have a windows 8.0 soon to be Windows 10 computer. Have downloaded the installer for V.9. but it is only going to last 30 days. I have the Serial number from my V5.11 and my "code" but the V9 will not accept that.

John, I also use your "second site". Again. this is better than anything else on the market. Is that going to work with Windows 10 if I ever get TMG 9 to function??

What help can you give me?

Pomala M. Black

pamblack33@cox.net

Pomola,

Did you read the post just before yours in this topic? Harry is the only known source of licenses for TMG 9.

Yes, TMG 9 and Second Site both work fine on Windows 10.

Be aware that there are significant changes/improvement between your Version 5 and the final Version 9. You will have a bit of a learning curve. Ask questions.