Photo

Can not buy Master Genealogist v9 anywhere? Stuck with 8?

v9 v8 buy

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Before I hurt myself or my data, what are the pitfalls of downloading, installing and upgrading my v7 database with the current v9 software? Obviously, I can't provide a valid unlock code, but would that inhibit more than me just having to reinstall the product every X-number of days?

Reinstalling may or may not work to restart the 30-day countdown.

#22 dadempsey

dadempsey
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

Before I hurt myself or my data, what are the pitfalls of downloading, installing and upgrading my v7 database with the current v9 software? Obviously, I can't provide a valid unlock code, but would that inhibit more than me just having to reinstall the product every X-number of days?

Reinstalling may or may not work to restart the 30-day countdown.

That's why I'm asking first. It could hide the expiration date in a file on the computer, a registry entry or embed it in the project datafiles.

It's been a very long time since I used a trial version of TMG, if ever. I think I started with TMG v4 Gold.

Am I better sticking with my unlocked v7 instead of trying to use a trial v9?

I don't know/remember the limitations of a trial version of 9. V9 will certainly be better in the long run stability-wise, as it will have been compiled with newer DLLs and other fine bits that have evolved, but I don't need and probably won't use most of the new features in v9. That's really the heart of the reason I didn't immediately upgrade to v8--it wasn't offering any killer features that I couldn't live without.

Thanks,

David

#23 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

David,

It won't hurt to play with TMG9. It's a different program and does not conflict with TMG7. Be sure to use a v7 backup to restore to v9 and your v7 data and v9 data will be located in different places.

I actually use TMG7 and believe that it is much more stable than any version since. The only shortcoming is the lack of MS Word, WordPerfect and RTF output under 64-bit operating systems.

Jim

#24 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

David,

Do remember that if you install TMG 9 and add new data in it, you will not be able to open that project in the earlier version. Your TMG 7 Project will remain valid, but will not contain any data you entered in TMG 9.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#25 dadempsey

dadempsey
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:14 AM

Thank you, Terry and Jim. Very helpful information.

Warm regards,

David

#26 dadempsey

dadempsey
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:15 AM

As former beta tester/translator (Dutch)/dealer I have 4 unlock codes left for TMG9. Interested? contact me off list Harry.Goegebeur@genea.be

Kind regards

Harry

Thank you, Harry. I may just do that. I'm currently weighing the opinion of Jim about v7's stability vs. 8 and 9.

Warm regards,

David

#27 John Cardinal

John Cardinal
  • Senior Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

David,

I use TMG v9.05 and it has been very stable. In addition to TMG v7's lack of word processor output under 64-bit Windows, TMG v9.05 has other fixes and features that make it the preferred version. In particular, the change to certain role variables in TMG v9 makes it easer to construct sentences. My free TMG Utility program (TMGU) does not support TMG v7, and while someone may be able to dig up an installer for an old version of TMGU, I do not provide support for it.

If you plan to keep using TMG long-term, get TMG v9 while you have the chance.

#28 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

I have to agree with John. I've been using TMG 9 since it was released (actually before - I was a beta tester). I've found no stability issues with 9.05, and there are a number of new features since v7 that I find worthwhile, including the one John mentioned.
Terry

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available

#29 agthorn

agthorn
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

Same boat as you Dave, still on v7 and apparently delinquent in watching the WG emails since I have not been doing a lot with genealogy the last 18 months ... my loss.  Interested in now moving my data off of TMG I guess now.  Drat, more pain. 

William 

#30 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Why move off TMG, William?  If you can get a license from Harry for V9 I see no need to go to another program.  TMG should continue to work for many years to come.  However, if you do decide to move off of TMG, I suggest checking out the "TMG Refugees" mailing list here. That list was set up to discuss the issues of moving from TMG to something else.

Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#31 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

As far as I know, Harry's four registrations are long gone. Harry said that one person wanted to buy all four but I think that he spread them out to four people.

#32 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

I think he meant to say "acquired" rather than "required" but will let him confirm when he can.
Michael
My website.

#33 Diane Hosler

Diane Hosler
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

I did upgrade, but recently had a computer crash, and was able to download TMG.   but do not have a disk.  When I e-mailed about purchasing one was advised to download the trial version  to a disk.  Now, that doesn't make sense to me.  Is there a way for me to have a disk, in case the web link dries up?

#34 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

I did upgrade, but recently had a computer crash, and was able to download TMG.   but do not have a disk.  When I e-mailed about purchasing one was advised to download the trial version  to a disk.  Now, that doesn't make sense to me.  Is there a way for me to have a disk, in case the web link dries up?

Diane,

Sure. Burn your own. And be sure to create a text file with your serial number in it and put it on the same CD.

Terry

#35 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

In other words, Diane, there was nothing special about a disk from Wholly Genes.  It simply contained the full installer file, which is the identical file which can be downloaded as the "trial" version.  That trial version becomes the full complete version once it is unlocked with the unlock code.  So as Terry suggests, just burn the downloaded V9.05 installer file on to your own disk along with a text file containing the unlock code and the name and email address associated with that unlock code.  Then you will have everything you need on that disk to reinstall TMG if "the web link dries up".

Michael
My website.

#36 djsavell

djsavell

Dale Savell

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

I guess I'm really coming to this late. Just heard today that TMG has been discontinued.  Glad I am running 9.05 though I am having several annoying issues with my picklist not sorting alphabetically beyond last name. And the program is no longer allowing me to add internal exhibits.  My thought was going to be doing a backup of my data and then re-installing the software and restoring my data. Now I'm wondering if that is a good idea. Plus I had planned to get a new computer and Windows 10 when it comes out later this year.  Anybody have any thoughts on that?

#37 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Dale,

Hopefully someone else can help you with the two issues you are having with 9.05 - I've not seen nor heard of them.

Reports of several users testing early releases of Windows 10 have said they have had no problem running TMG 9.

You should be prepared for future installations by having a copy of the installer and your serial number in a safe place. You may find my article on The Future for TMG Users useful in this regard.

Terry

#38 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Dale,

You should probably start new separate posts with appropriate titles so others can comment, but I will try.

...I am running 9.05 though I am having several annoying issues with my picklist not sorting alphabetically beyond last name.

You don't give enough details to make it clear what the problem is. However, if you are using Soundex sorting, there is a remaining issue with that sorting as described in my list of bugs remaining in the final version of the program. See my post for the description and possible workarounds:
http://www.mjh-nm.net/BUGS.HTML#B65

And the program is no longer allowing me to add internal exhibits.

I can only guess, but is it possible you have been adding graphic files as internal exhibits? If so that is a bad idea. There even is the possibility you have reached a maximum file size limit by doing so. For more detailed explanations, see the "Internal versus External Exhibits" discussion in the Style Guide chapter of my on-line book about TMG:
http://www.mjh-nm.ne...L#ExhibitIntExt

If this does not help enough, start new topics for each problem and you may get more help.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael
My website.

#39 djsavell

djsavell

Dale Savell

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

I have the CD TMG9.  Is it possible if I duplicated it for someone wanting the CD, that they could use it with their registration number?  Just thinking out loud is someone wants the CD.  I also have the version 8 CD.

Dale Savell

Aiken, SC

#40 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

As often mentioned on this Forum, there is nothing special about a CD from Wholly Genes.  It simply contains the same full installer file which is available by download.  In fact, writing a CD yourself to contain both the installer file PLUS a text file with your unlock code and its matching name and email address is actually a better backup of the program than the Wholly Genes CD which only contains the installer.

Michael
My website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users