Sign in to follow this  
tmalek

List of persons

Could not determine how to (or even if I can) generate a list of persons that are the grandchildren of a named ancestor. Can it be done? Thanks

Tom,

I don't believe you can do it in a single step. You can however do it in three steps with a Flag.

1. Create a custom flag with values NY, and use the secondary output of the List of People to change the flag to Y for a group defined with a filter consisting of ID# = the ID number of the grandfather, and use Add their descendants for 2 generations.

2. Use the secondary output of the List of People to change the flag back to N for a group defined with a filter consisting of ID# = the ID number of the grandfather, and use Add their descendants for 1 generations.

3. Create the list you want with the List of People report and a filter of the flag = Y.

Hi Tom,

You can do this, but I don't know of a way to do it in one step. Just noticed Terry posted with the same suggestion. He types faster than me. :)

(I am assuming you have someone with such a large number of children and grandchildren that selecting the grandchildren from the Project Explorer and adding them individually to a Focus Group would be tedious.)

By running two fairly simple List of People (LOP) reports, one after another, you can turn on a Flag for only the grandchildren. It takes longer to describe than it will to run the reports. :D

First define a custom Flag, say called "Grchild" with values N,Y

This will initialize this Flag for everyone in the database to the first (default) value 'N'

Now run the first LOP report. Set the Filter to:

ID number // = Equals // ID# // END

where ID# is the ID of the ancestor of interest.

But be sure to check "Descendants" at the bottom and put 2 for # of generations.

In the Report Options on the Secondary Output tab set "Change Flag" of Grchild to 'Y'

Run the report. This will set the Flag to 'Y' for the Grandparent, the children, and the grandchildren.

Now run the LOP report a second time, but...
Change the Filter to have only "1" for # of generations

Also change the Secondary Output tab to set the Flag back to the default of 'N'

This will turn off the Flag of the Grandparent and the children, and leave only the grandchildren with the Flag set to a value of 'Y'

Now that the flag is set you can run any number of reports you desire using a filter of people who have this Flag = 'Y' and the report will be for only these grandchildren.

========

As a variation, you could define the Flag to have a number of values, say 0,1,2,3,4,5,6

Now run the LOP the first time with generations = 6 and set the Flag to 6.

Then run it again but changing generations = 5 and set the Flag to 5.

--- and so forth until '1'

Now all the descendants of the individual (up to your max number) will have the Flag set to the number of generations away. So to get a report of grandchildren simply use a filter of Flag = '2', for great grandchildren use '3', etc.

=======

For either of these variations, you will either need to manually set the Flag for any new descendants you add, or run a LOP report to reset all Flags to its default and then rerun the set of reports.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks Terry and Michael. Works fine (running 2 LOPs). Just what I was looking for. Tom