Sign in to follow this  
coldan

Layout windows missing, or relocated within TMG window

Windows 7, TMG 8, older computer.

I have been looking at a friends computer, and can't solve the issue.

All windows are effected, Including Details, Siblings, Children and Flags.

On Startup, and after selecting any project (including Sample) the Programme opens as expected, however the windows mentioned above are missing, yet still selected on the button bar. On occasion, only the Details window will appear, in the wrong place, and half way off the main window. I have checked where possible to make sure the other windows are not hidden behind the detail window, and they are not.

The layout box is blank at this time

Deselecting all windows, reselecting (then repositioning) each one in turn causes them to reappear in the bottom left of the main window.

Saving this layout appears to function as usual.

Not all the previously saved custom layouts appear in the saved list.

Backing up the project (Backup All), closing it, then reloading the project, results in reappearance of the original problem

I did all the maintenence routines, and also did a Repair once, this did not solve the issue.

I looked at the .lo files, and some older ones were missing. I also looked at them using Notepad, but did not know what to do with them, as they are not commented.

Any help will be appreciated.

This happens with all projects tested.

I tried restoring the backup just mentioned, with the same undesired result

I tried restoring 2 previous and earlier backups but they too were unsuccessful.

Any help will be appreciated.

If you are restoring projects already restored, I don't understand why you are doing it again.

Restore only the project files after you get set up.

I suspect that you are restoring old configuration files and overwriting your updated files.

Deselecting all windows, reselecting (then repositioning) each one in turn causes them to reappear in the bottom left of the main window.

Saving this layout appears to function as usual.

Not all the previously saved custom layouts appear in the saved list.

In addition to Jim's suspicion that you are restoring old configuration files and overwriting your updated files, some further ideas come to mind based on your above comments.

First, is it possible that the custom layouts were originally constructed on a computer with a larger screen size, number of monitors, and/or resolution? The saved layout positions may be defined for areas which are physically off the new screen.

Next, you say that "saving the layout appears to function as usual." If you recreate and save several layouts do you now see those newly recreated layouts in the saved list? If you do, then at least you only need to recreate the layouts one time. If not, that is a separate problem.

Finally, the lack of seeing saved layout files in the list suggests two possible issues. First, after restoring a backup which includes restoring old configuration files, you must exit TMG and then restart it so that TMG can propagate its lists from the new set of files. Second, if you still do not see the list, then check all your folder settings in Preferences, especially Project preferences. Many default folder locations are intentionally stored as part of the preferences for each project, so a user can choose to have separate folders for separate projects. The folder saved locations may simply not exist on the new computer, which is often the case if the OS of the new computer is different than the old or the username under which you are running is different. Whenever you restore a project on a different computer you will need to check and update the folders in Preferences.

I also highly recommend you review Terry Reigel's Tips for moving a project to a new computer posted here which give many more suggestions than the few I mention above.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thankyou Jim and Michael

After further investigations, I have found the cause, and that is another probem which I will get to.

I found that doing a complete shutdown then a startup (rather than a Restart) TMG worked fine. The then told me, “yes, but the Tag is not there”

It turns out he has a custom tag he calls Eulogy which he uses twice, and was in the process of using again when this whole business began.

The Master Event List, shows 2 uses, but trying to edit them, causes TMG to lock up during the “Close the edit” stage (generating a few error messages). Restarting results in TMG behaving as described before. As I said, everything is normal in TMG after a shut down and start.

I have now convinced him to move the contents of these 2 tags to his custom Funeral Tag.

Problem now is, I cannot delete the custom Eulogy tag, as it does not appear in the details window. It does appear in the “list of tags” (F4) and in the Tools/List of Tags, however it cannot be deleted in either place because it is still being used in 2 cases. It also can not be deleted in the “List of Events” as I guess you know, and as I does not appear in the Details window, cannot be deleted there. I have salvaged the information contained in these two tags. TMG works fine if this tag is not touched. Also reports I generated (eg individual narrative, and journal) do not include the information contained in this tag.

I am now searching the forum to learn how to delete misbehaving and in use tags.

Ok I found one entry which describe the exact same problem however there is no response.

Can anyone tell me how to delete a Tag in the situation where it is (so far) impossible to delete instances of its use.

Thankyou.

Edited by coldan

Hi Jim

Sorry, Locating the individuals using the Tag is easy, but as I said before, the Tag does not appear in that persons Detail window ( I have checked that the "filter" is not applied), The 2 people with whom this tag is used are brother and sister although I doubt that matters, but the author assures me that the individuals identified are the correct two.

Also as I said before, TMG performs normally as long as the Tag is not "touched" and as it does not appear in the Details window it is less likely to be "touched". However it does appear in the Tag Type List, where "Touching" it has the same effect.

I have not tried deactivating the Tag because it may get reactivated at some point in the future and then he would be back to "sqaure one".

Do you have any further suggestions.

Thankyou.

Edited by coldan

Yes, and repeated until it found no errors, also did the re-index, etc.

I also did a repair through the install process.

The repair did find some faults which it fixed, but did not give details or solve the issue.

Thankyou

Colin,

Have you looked for the tags in the Master Event List? You can search it by Tag Type without regard to who the tag is attached to, and then edit it from there.

Yes I can and have, but it locks TMG up everytime I try to complete the edit. It is a pity that I cant delete it from there, because I do not get the option.

Hi Jim

I sent you the project some days ago, I was wondering if you have received it, and if you had any luck,

Thankyou

I didn't receive it and had wondered what was happening. You can try again.

If the backup is too large, you can upload it using Help / Message Manager / Outgoing tab and let me know the name of the uploaded file.

You need to do this soon. I'm about to disappear for a week.

Deleted the Eulogy tag type and the two Eulogy tags and returned the project to Colin. The issue was that the TSENTENCE memo for the Eulogy tag type was corrupted.

Opened the project in v9.05 and ran maintenance and the project appears to be OK. The project needed to have optimize / VFI / optimize run. VFI found 9 items in the tables to fix.

Hi Jim and all respondants.

Thankyou very very much for the work you did on the project in question. I have passed the project on to the owner and it now works as expected.

I would like to point out that again I found the layout problems still occured after the restoration of the repaired project. After rebuilding the desired Layout the only way I could "Lock it in" was to close TMG, then turn off the computer (Shut down) and start it again (restart would not work). After that everything worked as expected.

Thankyou from me and on behalf of the owner to all who offered assistance.