Paul in NJ

Missed Exhibits due to renaming the files, but...

The backup log file shows two Missed (external) Exhibits because at some point I had renamed the files. I deleted the exhibits for the individuals in question and added back the renamed files (as internal images this time). Yet every backup still shows them as Missed Exhibits.

I've tried File | Maintenance | Validate File Integrity as well as Reindex, but no luck. What should I try next?

(This actually started in v8 and, unsurprisingly, persists in v9)

I suspect, Paul, that the old exhibits are still linked to something in your project.

You might try looking for the old exhibits in the Exhibit Log. Open the log and change the focus to "All Exhibits". If you are sure the old exhibits are images you could also limit your looking to only Type=Image. Scroll through the log and look for a missing exhibit icon. Click on it and then "hover" your cursor over the box at the bottom right above the Properties button. The Pop-up will show you if the missing exhibit is attached to a Person or an Event, and will tell you more than what shows in that box. Hopefully that information will be enough to tell you where that exhibit is still linked.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Huh - you learn something new every day!

Well, that worked to an extent: when I click on the frowny face, the display box above the Properties button tells me that it's a "Thumb only" in both cases, as opposed to an External or Internal exhibit. Hovering over that info doesn't tell me the person to whom it is attached.

Semi-related topic: If I want to change an External exhibit to an Internal, is it sufficient to right-click, open its properties, and under the General tab simply change it from "External Image file" to "Internal Image"?

Paul,

If it does not say what person, what does it say?

No, I am pretty sure you cannot change to internal that way. But it is usually considered that having image exhibits as external is a much better idea. I think you would have to do a new attach as internal then delete the external one. But why would you want to do that?

Paul,

If it does not say what person, what does it say?

No, I am pretty sure you cannot change to internal that way. But it is usually considered that having image exhibits as external is a much better idea. I think you would have to do a new attach as internal then delete the external one. But why would you want to do that?

It doesn't say anything - nothing appears when I hover. As noted, I long ago deleted the non-extant exhibits from the people they were attached to, but TMG doesn't recognize that.

Why would I want to make my exhibits internal? Because the images that I use as exhibits serve several purposes, and as I refine my collection of images, I tend to rename them and/or move them to different folders. Is there a way to keep them current within TMG?

Why would I want to make my exhibits internal? Because the images that I use as exhibits serve several purposes, and as I refine my collection of images, I tend to rename them and/or move them to different folders. Is there a way to keep them current within TMG?

Paul,

In my view you do that by making a separate copy of the image for exhibits, putting them in folders you reserve for exhibits only. Assuming you are still keeping the originals, that's really the same as making them internal as far as storage space goes, since that makes a copy too, but hides it with the TMG data files.

By making them internal you are inflating the size of each backup of your TMG Project, which you should be making often, taking up disk space and increasing the time it takes to make each one.

I just want to add my own problem to the list with Paul. I have about 25 exhibits (photos) from long ago that show up on the "missed exhibits" log, but they are seemingly nowhere to be found in my TMG 9. The names of the photos are incomplete, as they are so old that they go back to the days when name length was limited by DOS, and thus they were all contracted into meaningless titles. However, when I go to one of the few recognizable names for a photo, the missing exhibit is not in their individual exhibit file.

In the exhibit log, I have sort set to "none", focus set to "all exhibits", and type set to "all types" (I've tried every combination). There are no smiley faces or thumbnails in the exhibit log for any of the 25 missing exhibits. So, with no smiley faces, no thumbnails, and nothing in the individual person's exhibit log, I can't figure out where the link can be hiding for these phantom exhibits.

Sure would appreciate any thoughts on how to get rid of them.