Abrosz

V 9.05 Install

Last night I started TMG and noticed a message that v9.05 was available. I downloaded and installed & the install processed appeared to run smoothly -- no error messages and normal termination. However, when I started TMG I received numerous error messages with abort, retry, ignore. Then my screen was mostly blank with only the TMG Explorer window showing. I uninstalled 9.05 and reinstalled 9.04 & now I'm running normally again, but I'm wondering if v. 9.05 was legit and if anyone else has downloaded it and installed it successfully.

I'm running on an HP laptop with Windows 7 Professional.

Regards

Allyn Brosz

Washington, DC

Uninstall TMG v9.04. Your data will be safe.

Delete any remnant program folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9"

Delete the two TMG9 folders in ProgramData.

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9"

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer"

Download the appropriate installer here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers/

Be sure to save the installer on your system. Don't run it during the download process.

Run the installer and install.

Does that resolve the problems?

(If not, run the installer once more and select [Repair] although this shouldn't be necessary.)

I cannot believe the troubles I have been having with 9.05 upgrade. I have tried all suggestions and nothing has worked for me, the error messages I get are multiple. I have just given up and gone back to 9.03, I hope 9.05 is nothing too exciting. This is the worst upgrade I have ever seen coming from this software. My computer is so fed up with the number of install, uninstall, install, uninstall etc etc.

I still have troubles with an error on 9.03 which is stating an exhibit file is missing and I have to click use default file everytime I log into it.

I just tried to download the installer and my security software rejected it as a security threat. I have just gotten back into genealogy after a 6 year hiatus and my files are all tmg files. Unfortunately, I did not ever convert them to GEDCOM. I tried to open them with the v5 disc I have, but I apparently downloaded v6, but don't have the downloaded file. Is anyone willing to open my files in TMG and convert them to GEDCOM and return them to me? You would have years of good karma:). Tanya

thanton2

There is no security threat. The slideshow viewer file in TMG will occasionally trigger a false virus message in some anti-virus programs, but the file has been thoroughly tested and there is absolutely positively no virus in TMG.

For a clean install, uninstall v9.04 from the control panel and download and install the full v9.05, running the install as administrator (rightclick on the install file and run as administrator. You do not need to run as administrator after that). See Jim's instructions in an earlier message above.

If you plan to continue to use TMG, I strongly recommend installing the latest version - 9.05.

Virginia

After installing V 9.05 I got an error showing C:/Users/Staples/Appdata/roaming/TMGV9/app.in file not found. So I ran install again and picked Repair but got the same error message. Any thoughts on what do no next?

I purchased TMG V9.01 on CD in June this year, and installed it on a Windows 8.1 box.

Unfortunately I get "Unlock the Full Version" option on a regular basis, having followed through with the Registration Info, and getting "Successfully Unlocked" message each time. I did a download of V9.01 (I think), while waiting for the official V9.01 CD to arrive, and was getting these regular prompts, about every 4 to 5 times the application was launched, and this continued when the CD copy was loaded, so wonder if I stuffed up by not waiting for the official CD file?

I have now downloaded the V9.05 installer from the link on this forum, which I was able to direct to the "download" directory on the hard drive, and then I was able to copy to a memory stick for backup.

I would like to do the same with the final V9.05 TMG application, via a link to the file. My problem is accessing the latest version is only possible with the TMG V9.01 application open, through - "Help" - "check for latest version". It wants to "install", no "copy to" option (to save file), and with V9.01 still open to carry out this instruction, I am not sure how to "uninstall" V9.01, when the V9.01 application has to be open to get directions for the download/install.

I am hoping to continue using TMG for another 4-5 years if possible.

Cheers - JF.

Hi All

I am using v9.04, having used TMG for over a decade, updating promptly each time an update became available - although I tend to wait a month just to assess possible update problems as reported on various forums......

For the first time an update - v9.05 - seems to be presenting some problems, and it is not clear that these are being solved to everyone's satisfaction.....

Consequently I am nervous about updating to v9.05

Can the experts reassure me please? and tell me the disadvantages of NOT updating? (i.e. continuing with v9.04)

Thank you in advance

Geoff in sunny Sevilla, Andalucia

Geoff,

The installer for v9.05 is identical to the installer for v9.04.

v9.05 has nine bug fixes. Read the change log and see if they are important for you.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15543-tmg-v9-change-log/

If v9.05 broke something, then it will be fixed. However, at this point, I'm not aware of any new issue introduced by v9.05 that needs fixing.

Jim

My problem with TMG 9.05 giving an opening error message that the "app.ini" file was "not found" was that somehow that file was marked as a hidden file which prevented TMG 9.05 from accessing it.

So I solved my own problem, but wanted to post it in case others encountered that problem.

Moody Miles

Installed v9.05 today as an upgrade to v9.04. No problems!

For those thinking down the road to purchasing a new computer, I would recommend you download the Final TMG Installer setup file and save it somewhere, along with your V9 serial number.

Edited by ByronH

Further to my previous post, I have now successfully installed TMG V9.05 from the down loaded Final TMG Installer setup file. I had assumed that this file required a separate "TMG application file" to access, not realising that it was contained within the one "Installer setup file". Just seemed to be too simple. Loaded with no problems, and picked up my user ID number from some were, automatically, (I did uninstall previous version of TMG). I can now see why that installer file is so important to have backed up.

Cheers - John Foster.

I have v. 9.04 and am trying to update with new 9.05 update.

I'm using AVG Internet Security 2013 and it brings up an threat detected message:

Found: Luhe.Fiha.A

Object name: .....\viewer\tmgss.exe

I'm guessing that is really OK, but wanted to check.

Is it OK to Ignore that threat?

wreace

I tried to install v9.05 and I get the message: "The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I've gotten this message twice. What do I do now?

Yoneit

For future reference - with the end of WG support - when a problem arises in TMG, first try the Search box at the top right of the relevant forum page (the forum will remain at least for a while). Enter a word or short phrase descriptive of the problem. In this case I would enter simply MSVCR71.dll. In that same search box, click the gray button 'This topic' and select 'Forums'. Click on the Magnifying glass on the green background. Your problem is not a new one and there is probably a message with a fix. You may also find the fix using Google with the search term 'TMG MSVCR71.dll'.
Let us know if you do not find the solution or run into a problem with the fix -
Virginia

Greetings oh most helpful and generous forum members,

This afternoon and evening I've been trying to update my TMG 9.04 to TMG 9.05. I did try searching the TMG forums for "connection with the server" before posting this question. The search for updates appears to run for 4 minutes, but then a message window pops up that says, " A connection with the server could not be established". Based on that I assume the 4 minutes were spent on attempt(s) to connect to the TMG server that never succeeded. Could this just be a server glitch that I have to wait and hope will be resolved, or is it indicative of some other problem over which I might have some control?

Edited by genelady2

Save yourself some trouble and download the installer directly.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers/

I can understand the alternative of installing a brand new TMG 9.05 after attempting a full removal of TMG 9.04, but I have a working TMG 9.04 now that I am hesitant to destroy. It worries me to remove a working 9.04 and then hope that 9.05 installs as I desire. A few TMG releases back I had a real problem when I tried to delete my installed TMG and then do a full product install of a newer .0x level of TMG. And as the old saying goes, "once bitten, twice shy". I will keep your suggestion and links in my notebook, to keep as my Plan B if I am offered no other explanation or advice. (This assumes the server continues to be in an 'unconnectable' state the next few days).

Jim - I thank you for your very prompt reply. Since you were so prompt I felt only proper to also reply in a speedy manner. Thanks.

While several people have reported problems with "search for update", it does seem that following Jim's advice of doing a clean install as he describes at the link he cited has been what works. Even if you do not wish to upgrade from V9.04 to V9.05 today, be sure to grab a copy of the full installer of V9.05 while it exists. You may decide later to upgrade and you will need the file.

You say "I have a working TMG 9.04 now that I am hesitant to destroy." If you have the V9.04 installer file on your computer, at the very least you could reinstall it as a last resort. But based on other users' experiences, following Jim's directions should work just fine.