Abrosz

V 9.05 Install

If you run 'Check for an update', the v9.05 installer is downloaded and run. The first thing that it does is to uninstall the v9.04 installation and then install v9.05. You seem to think that it upgrades the v9.04 installation and that is not the case. TMG has only used full installers beginning with v8.00.

You don't have to do a clean install. You can download the v9.05 installer and run it. It should uninstall the v9.04 installation and then install v9.05.

If you run 'Check for an update', the v9.05 installer is downloaded and run. The first thing that it does is to uninstall the v9.04 installation and then install v9.05. You seem to think that it upgrades the v9.04 installation and that is not the case. TMG has only used full installers beginning with v8.00.

You don't have to do a clean install. You can download the v9.05 installer and run it. It should uninstall the v9.04 installation and then install v9.05.

Ahhh, that an 'upgrade' from 9.04 to 9.05 acutally runs a full version uninstall, then new install makes this a different kettle-of-fish. I didn't realize that from 8.0 and above this was what happened 'under the covers'. This morning the server that "look for updates" needs is still apparently unavailable. So I will probably try you suggestion to do a straight file download of the 9.05 installer to my PC. And then run it and trust it will handle my existing 9.04 installation correctly. That will wait for this evening as I don't want to try and fit all that into my brief lunch-break time frame... just in case things don't go well. Thank you for clairfying the acutally actions that "check for an update" actually execute.

And thank you Michael for also replying.

This morning the server that "look for updates" needs is still apparently unavailable.

With Wholly Genes closing its doors I am not surprised. I fully expected that server to no longer be running after December 31st when final support ended. But since the Wholly Genes on-line store has closed I guess it is not surprising that the update server does not respond. Even the installer files themselves are no longer on the Wholly Genes server but have been moved to a software mirroring site as the links in Jim's post indicate. So be sure to follow his links to obtain the full installer file.

I wanted to share that the TMG 'check for an update' server never appeared to come back 'online'. So I followed Jim B's suggestion to download and then run the 9.05 installer with file tmg9setup.exe . That job looked to run without issue, first deleting my 9.04 installed software and then installing 9.05. But, when that was done and TMG 9.05 was launched, my attempt to load the Sample project or my own project lead to this in an error message window: System32\bblistviewv.ocx. 113 TMGAPPOBK.REGISTERCONTROL After that message appeared, if I choose abort, TMG froze and I had to use Task Manager to kill it. If I choose ignore then a 2nd error message appeared: OLE error code 0x80040154: Class no registered. 48 TMGAPPOBJ.DOFORM For this I also needed to use Task manager to kill TMG 9.05.

I wasn't sure what to try next, so I tried running tmg9setup.exe again. I was surprised to see this time I was given a choice to modify, remove or repair TMG 9.0 - I choose repair, with fingers crossed for luck. And I am happy to reply once that finished running, I started TMG 9 and all started fine for both the sample project and my personal project. I'll be trying some standard functions to feel more certain all is well, but I thought I'd share my experience in case future TMGers have similar symptoms. I hope these steps might be of help.

Ahhh, that an 'upgrade' from 9.04 to 9.05 actually runs a full version uninstall, then new install makes this a different kettle-of-fish. I didn't realize that from 8.0 and above this was what happened 'under the covers'. This morning the server that "look for updates" needs is still apparently unavailable. So I will probably try you suggestion to do a straight file download of the 9.05 installer to my PC. And then run it and trust it will handle my existing 9.04 installation correctly. That will wait for this evening as I don't want to try and fit all that into my brief lunch-break time frame... just in case things don't go well. Thank you for clarifying the actually actions that "check for an update" actually execute.

And thank you Michael for also replying.