Sign in to follow this  
Rae Jean

Unable to install TMG 9 on XP computer

Currently using TMG 7 because can not install TMG 9 on Win XP Home SP1 notebook computer.

Have not tried to install TMG 9 on another computer because I need same version on both.

Does TMG 9 require a different Win XP Home SP number?

Dorothy tried to help but nothing was successful.

Has anyone been able to install TMG 9 on a Win XP Service Pack 1 computer?

Appreciate your help.

Edited by Rae Jean

Rae Jean,

I have not tried to install TMG v9 on a PC running WinXP, but I am curious what happens when you try it. Do you get an error message? Does TMG v9 not install, or not work at all, or work a little bit, or ?

Rae Jean,

I have a WinXP virtual machine and I decided to try installing TMG 9 on it. When I started it, I discovered I already had TMG 9.01 installed there. I upgraded to TMG 9.05 via the "Check for update" feature, something I don't do for my production version of TMG. I figured I'd use the method that most users probably employ. It worked fine.

One difference: my copy of XP is SP3, while you said you have SP1. SP1 is 12 years old (released in 2002 if I recall correctly), and there were a lot of changes in one of the XP service packs, SP3 I think.

Without an error message or some description of what isn't working, it's very difficult to help you, but at least we know from my report and Terry's report that TMG 9 will run on XP. I think XP SP1 is an open question, but you should be able to upgrade to SP3 if that turns out to be the issue.

John and Terry -- thank you for responding. Good to know TMG 9 can be installed on Win XP.

I have attempted multiple times to install TMG v9.03 and once TMG v9.00 -- every time I get the same error:

Installation error. Please reinstall from the original media.

Installation attempt was done by running install file which was located on my desktop -- not by 'check for update' feature. Also tried install using 'run as administrator' and got same error. I ask Dorothy if TMG 9 required a different Win XP Home SP number and did not receive a reply.

Rae Jean

I ask Dorothy if TMG 9 required a different Win XP Home SP number and did not receive a reply.

Rae Jean

That's question that she wouldn't be able to answer. The TMG9 installer hasn't been tested using all SP versions of WinXP.

I installed using WinXP SP3 when we needed to check a particular installer issue but that's it.

Rae Jean,

My regular desktop runs WinXP Pro SP2 and runs TMG 9 with no problems. I don't know why that would be different than WinXP Home SP1, but at least it gives you another data point.