mbudd50

TMG9 deleted my source! Citations still exist!

I'm just starting to use TMG9.04.0000 after the final upgrade. I just turned on the reminders on several things so I can learn more and cue cards appeared on most things. I had imported my data (from TMG5.xxx) with the prior TMG9 revision and then deinstalled/reinstalled with the final. I opened a birth tag which cited a source (1:310) and I opened the source. There are citations of this source in many places. I cancelled out of the source and the citation still said 1:310. When I double clicked on it again TMG displayed source 0:0. Cancelling out still showed the citation referred to it, but searching for the source failed. So I cancelled back to the person and opened the master source list and 1:310 is not there. However the citations to it still have the appropriate date but now they all say 0:0 for the source.

What kind of trouble have I caused? What should I do? I'm afraid to touch anything else.

Marvin

Followup: I ran a validate and it found 51,518 problems and fixed them. So I think this dataset is trashed. I'm restoring from backup. Hope this does not happen again.

I hope your backup has worked.

First, I notice you mention that the source is referred to as number (1:310). The '1:' in front of the number indicates that this Project has multiple Datasets, and this source only exists in dataset '1'. Is it possible you used the Dataset Manager to either hide or remove dataset '1', or that you changed to view a person who is not in dataset '1'?

Next, you mention that you are using TMG9.04. Note that TMG9.05 is the final version. Since the Wholly Genes upgrade server has closed, the "Check for Update" within the program will no longer work. You will have to manually download the final installer version and install it yourself. See the final installer post for the location of the installer you need.

Finally, if you have a large project, with many tags, and it is from an older version, then it is possible to have that many problems fixed by Validate. I would recommend whenever you load a project in a new version to immediately run Optimize and then Validate on the project. Keep running that pair of maintenance routines in that order until Validate shows no errors, as a pass may clean up some things sufficiently for a subsequent Validate to see some other things now needing to be fixed. When you finally get no errors in Validate, do a final Optimize. Then do a Backup of the now fixed Project.

Hope this helps,

I had already downloaded 9.05, but forgot I had not installed it having not figured out the upgrade steps. This made it easier. I deleted my data, uninstalled 9.04 and installed 9.05 and restored from the backup. I cycled through optimize and validation as instructed and seem to have a working project again. Yes, two datasets there - and I had not confused them. I'm still worried about a hard to reproduce bug. But until I can repeat it I'll have to proceed.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Just one more question. My old project had hard paths to the exhibits - C:\aaa\bbb\img.jpg - for example. Now these are within the TMG9 subtree. Is there a way to convert these - and if so, what path is best to use so they are relative to the project instead of hard paths?

Marvin,

You asked, "what path is best to use so they are relative to the project instead of hard paths?" TMG uses absolute file paths for exhibit files. There is no option to use relative paths.