kaye

Descendant indented chart report showing par(partner) instead of marriage

Hi

Suddenly my indented chart is showing "par" instead of marriage and no names of marriage.

Checked option tags and all ok.

Something has changed and I am only printing charts and odd bit of data entry.

Can someone help please?

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did that and it only leaves out burials. This report only does BDM and Burial I just did it again.

Hello Michael

Do you mean tags in report option. If so there is only an option for "All".

If not then the primary tags are marriage. This is my problem

thank you

Kaye

to All

The descendant chart does not print out "par". The default option is marriage and I cannot see how this can be changed. I have never seen this before and looked at past questions.

kaye

Kaye,

This issue does not come from settings in report Options, except perhaps the Language setting as Michael suggests. The place to look is in the Tag Type definition for the Marriage Tag that is used for the people who appear in the report. In some Tag Type in the Marriage group the Abbreviation on the General tab is set to "par" for the Language you have set in the report Options.

Hello Terry

Thank you.

I went into a dozen random marriages and bought up the tag entry window and looked in the tag type list. It is set at marriage Marriage ( with symbol that I cant create here ) M). That is my only marriage option. Partner is not selected.

What I cannot understand is that it seems almost impossible to create a partner tag in this type of chart as it is not an option. Family group sheet is ok and there is no problem with descendancy indented narrative report. All marriages showing as they should be.

I went to programs and tried to do a repair and it wants to install.

I also did reports for many different families and it is the same problem. I cant understand how it could suddenly change and I have never seen this problem in over 10 years using TMG from the release of version 4. (Nevertheless despite using the software for all this time I am not an expert). Is there any other way to look at marriage tags? I also went into tools and looked at the tag list and only the one type of marriage tag.

Many thanks

Kaye,

To solve the issue with "par" showing up in the charts, try this:

1. Open the Report definition you are using. Click on Options, and on the General tab look at "Output Language" on the second line, and note which Language is shown there. Cancel out of the Options screen.

2. Run the report, and find a person that shows "par" for marriage.

3. Go to that person in TMG, and find that person's Primary marriage tag. Make sure it has the asterisk in front of it to mark it as Primary.

4. Open that Tag, then click the Tag Type button at the upper left, and click Edit in the Tag Types screen.

5. On the Tag Type Definition screen, first check the Language shown at the upper right. If it is not the same as in the report Options, change it so it is.

6. Still in the Tag Type Definition screen, check the entry on the General tab for Abbreviation. Normally it should say "m." but I think it will say "par" - which is the source of the problem.

Now back to your issue of getting the Partner tag to show up. You can do that. But the Indented Descendant Chart will only show the Primary tag in the Birth, Marriage, Death, and Burial groups. So for a Partner Tag to show up, it has to be in the Marriage group, and has to be Primary for that person.

Hello Terry

Thank you very much for this. I didn't look at the abbreviation!. It was on par. I changed to m. How would this have happen?

Anyway I have leaned something new and I didn't know that par could be changed to appear in the chart. I should have known this.

Kind regards

Kaye