Dave Shingleton Jr

Memo text not showing up in reports or tag previews

I am new to TMG v9 having imported from UFT and I have noticed yet another problem after running reports and inputting data. Memo text for several Marriage and Death tags that I inputted is clearly in the memo box but does not appear in the preview within the tag nor is it carried over to the reports. This is info that I have added in the new TMG program not imported. Imported info appears to have a symbol that is grey in color like this: II prior to the memo text and I have found that typing after when inputting new memo text will includes all new text. New memo text that I have added does not have those symbols prior to the text. and will not show up. Does that make sense?

If this has something to do with altering a tag sentence which seems to be the case with this program please explain how to do it with what the sentence should look like and would this be the same for all tags?

Edited by Dave Shingleton Jr

Hi Dave,

For preview, I suspect that you have done a Copy/Paste, perhaps from a word processing document, and the text contains unprintable characters which are preventing the text from showing. When you want to Paste such copied text, use the right-click memo in TMG and choose "Paste Unformatted Text". That will strip the unprintable characters.

As for reports, be sure that your sentence template for that tag type includes the Memo variable to output the memo text. Most default sentence templates do not include that variable.

As for "how to do it", I suggest reviewing Terry Reigel's on-line web pages explaining TMG. As you are discovering, UFT did many thing "automatically" (whether you wanted it or not). In TMG you are in control, but that comes with a price as it often means you have to tell TMG what you want as it will not do many things automatically (like include the memo in the narrative output). I highly recommend starting with Terry's Basic Tips discussion to understand what is going on with TMG.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Perhaps further confusing to TMG is that the symbol || is used to divide the parts of a Memo in TMG. From Help:

"The Master Genealogist (TMG) allows the Memo field to be split into parts. Vertical lines in the Memo field between the various pieces of information allow each part of the field to be treated separately. For example, the Memo field might look like this:

Private||the 23rd Virginia Regiment."

Virginia

Dave,

I think the issue of Memo text not appearing in either the preview or reports has the same cause - the Memo variable - [M] - is not in the Sentence of the Tag Types you are viewing. You can set an option in Reports to include Memos that are not in the Sentence, but a better solution in my view is to add the [M] variable to the Sentences - preferably in conditional brackets like this: so there will not be a problem with the Memo is empty.