Sign in to follow this  
beetle3247

How to Create a Report w/Index using Word?

OK, here I go again. I'm attempting to create a Journal report with an index. I output the files as Word documents, one per generation. In the Indexes tab I have checked "combined index" under People and selected (Date - Date). When I open any of the files output and attempt to create an index within Word it states there are "No index entries found." When I look at the Help for Indexes in TMG it states "codes for indexing are included in each document." What am I doing wrong?

Beetle,

I think the issue is that you also have to make some choices in the check boxes in the People and/or Place boxes. If you don't tell TMG what to index it doesn't index anything, and you get the "no index codes" message. Checking boxes in one or both sections fixes that.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should be - the boxes I did check (Combined Index and (Date - Date)) were in the People section of the tab.

Started playing with the index feature in other reports and it worked there. I went back to the Journal report and then it worked. Have no idea what happened or why.

Beetle,

Sorry, I misread that you had checked the box at the bottom, for combined people and place index. That's not what you said - what you said was clear.

Looking more closely, I find:

1. The lifespan choice is not a "box" - it's a "radio button" and one and only one of them is always selected. So that one doesn't count.

2. For people indexes you must chose either by surname or by given name, or both - if you don't no index is created.

3. The "Combined Index" box in the People section is a bit misleading - it's not really a type of index like the two boxes above, but rather an option that applies only if you check both of the boxes above. Checking this alone does not create an index - you also have to check one or both of the boxes above.

I don't think these controls are as clear as they could be - it's easy to get no index.