Sign in to follow this  
tmalek

Census Record - Handwritten Notation

This involves the 1930 US Census. In the name column (item 5) there is no entry in the row between the parent's names and the children's names. To the left of that unfilled row, in the margin, is a handwritten notation as follows: "See RB14 (or it might even be R1314), Pg. 68, L 18". Does anyone know the purpose of the empty row? What the notation means?

Tom

Tom,

Typically such a line means that a family member appears on another page. I've seen that a number of times. If you could identify the specific census page we might be able to offer more helpful advice.

Terry -

See 1930 census at ancestry.com; head = John Sitkowski:
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6224/4609301_00754?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=4609301_00754
image 13 of 32.
The parents are on lines 86 and 87, and the children are on lines 89-93. Line 88 is blank.

Tom,

That's very strange - I've never seen it before. She uses the same kind of note every time there is a blank line. On image 15 it's a little clearer - I think it says "See R. book pg pg 38 line 15." I believe this is a reference to a reference book, or register book maybe, where she made notes that explain why the lines were left blank.

Blank lines are pretty common in the 1940 census, where the enumerators left blank lines for households where no one was home, then sometimes found they had left too many lines when they came back and got the information. You see notes about the neighbor having given them wrong information about how many people lived there. That may be what's going on here.