Sign in to follow this  
JohnLW

BUG - There are problems with CDX files

I received this message when trying to restore a project from a backup. All the backups prior to this were OK. All the backups after it have some corruption which produces error messages starting with #111 when I try to access the Master Place List. If I click through them the Master Place list appears; however 'sort' does not function and until I reload TMG other functions cease to operate: data set manager; master source list etc

The single backup which produces the above error message (BUG - There are problems with CDX files) causes the program to fall-over.

Unfortunately I do not use the Master Place list function very often and it was 6 months afterwards (and much data entry) that I first noticed the problem and searched back to find the origin. I had been in discussion with Wholly Genes about it but none of their suggested fixes work - and I now find out that they have ceased to exist!!!

I have already tried many things: reindexing; optimising; running in repair mode; validating but none seem to notice that there is a problem. I have used the program in 2 different versions (7.03 and 7.04) on two different Windows (Vista and 7). I have also run a working 'sample project' simultaneously with my present faulty project and they do not seem to interact with one another.

Although the error messages are the normal gibberish it appears to stem from an Invalid Column Index on the Master Place list.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

John Whitelock

Edited by JohnLW

Send me the backup and I'll take a look. You can contract me by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

If you are taking about a project in a folder that doesn't have a backup, delete the .CDX files for the project, make a ZIP archive of all of the project files and send that.

Thanks for your reply. BUT writing the email gave me some more ideas. I had thought of splitting the project as it has several data sets but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that. Copying and deleting data sets didn't work. Then I thought about merging. So I created a new project entered a minimum of data and then merged my project into it.

This must have caused all the indexes to be recreated somehow since it works perfectly. I deleted the data set in the new project and it seems to be back to perfect. Only a few hours old now but I can't make it error like before.

I'll still send you the file if you are interested but I'll keep your contact anyway in case it happens again. So far so good. Long live TMG.

I was waiting for v10 before I upgraded - now it will never happen - Is it possible to get v9 somehow??

Thanks again for your offer.

You might be able to buy a TMG9 registration by writing to...

Harry.Goegebeur@genea.be

Harry was the Dutch TMG dealer and might have some registrations remaining.