I'm a new user and have just imported data from Family Tree Maker 2008/2009. I have two issues, which I can correct, but am looking for an easier solution. First, in cleaning up the Master Place list, I have some 250 entries like the following, all sitting in the Country field:

"Alabam Cemetery//Madison/Arkansas/USA/-1852//" and

"All Saints Church/Helmsley/Yorkshire//England/-88885//" (without quotes)

Many other Places ended up in the correct fields while others are easily moved with Ctrl and left arrow. The ones like the above examples move as a group which means editing with a lot of cutting and pasting (I'm a slow 2-finger typist). Is there an easier way to correct these rather than editing each one? And, out of curiosity, what do -1852, -88885, etc. mean?

Second, I have over 200 PDF files as exhibits that did not import. Some are attached to multiple persons. At this point I can't see a way to get them into TMG other than copying them to the Exhibits folder and then manually adding then to the appropriate individuals. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Artie Berry

Artie,

For the place issue, does FTM have a batch-edit facility where you can edit places and change "/" to ","? If so, that would probably be the way to go: change the places in FTM, then re-import your project to TMG. If that won't work, then you'll probably have to do some manual editing in TMG.

My free TMG Utility program can help a little. It has a Change Place Parts feature that could be used to set some of the fields properly. For example, you can implement a rule as follows:

If Country contains "/Arkansas/"

And If State is empty

Set State equal to "Arkansas"

Repeat that 50 times and all the State parts will be correct. If some Cities/Towns appear frequently in the jumbled entries, then you could use a similar rule to set the city field.

I am not sure what happened with the exhibits. Perhaps someone else will respond to that part of your post.

Second, I have over 200 PDF files as exhibits that did not import. Some are attached to multiple persons. At this point I can't see a way to get them into TMG other than copying them to the Exhibits folder and then manually adding then to the appropriate individuals. Any suggestions?

How were the PDF files used in FTM? Since PDF files are not image files, TMG won't accept them as the primary person image.

TMG will just import the links to exhibits.

You need to describe one example from FTM that didn't import. How was it used and linked?

Jim,

The PDF's were used as "Media" (FTM's term) tied to sources/citations and linked to a file in \Family Tree Maker\Berry Family Media (all the JPG's were imported to TMG from the same folder). None of the PDFs were used as person images. An example is my father's birth certificate attached to the Source "Births, Arkansas State Board of Health, Arthur Yell Berry Jr, Arkansas Birth Certificate, No 4244554. The log created after the import said, ">The format of a file "AYB Jr, Birth Certificate, b 27 Jun 1913.pdf" is not supported."

Some are single pages, like the birth certificate, some several pages from a Bible or Will, while others are book length, as a genealogy, memoire/autobiography. Besides having quick access to them as I researched, I included them so a user would have immediate access to them on a web site. I realize they will not show up in a TMG report and actually I haven't posted anything to Second Site yet so they may not work there either. If not, perhaps it's best I simple list myself as the Repository. For my own use, I can still add them manually to the TMG citations.

Thanks for you help.

You did check the Exhibit Log and change the filter to all exhibits?

If the links didn't import, the only solution is to re-add them.