kaye

Examples of charts

Firstly I have just read that TMG is discontinued!!

I want to see examples of charts. I have avoided these as I only have a small page to produce. A4 with margins set by the typesetter. I only want basic chart for each family showing children and their spouses and number of children.. Most of my families have over 15 children. So before each family I want to provide a outline. I have tried excel but can't fit them in on the one page.

I have also tried word but that is harder to set up with lines in columns. Whatever chart I use needs to be provided in PDF format.

I am in the sample at the moment and I thought I would be able to get more information but it is the same.

So where can I see an example of each chart please?

I see there are videos but want to see what they look like without going through this process.

I just found report samples thanks . None can be adjusted because of the number of children and my page limitations. But if anyone has any ideas using another programme I would appreciate the advice please

Edited by kaye

Hello Jim

Thank you for your reply. Yes I just wanted to see if any are samples and as I said in an edit I did find it in TMG. I have put this link above in favourites. I didn't want to go through all the videos to see the end result. Also I have too many people in my lines. I wasn't able to solve my problem but may get some ideas as I go through it.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT LOW RESOLUTION DESCENDANT LINES.

But one important thing I found out from one of the links in above, is that the dpi of the lines is only 96 or 76 dpi.(I forget) I am having my book professionally printed and photos must be a min of 300 dpi so internet photos have this same low resolution so must be checked. But I never thought about my descendants indented charts. These will have to be changed as well. Invaluable information hidden away.

Now what about family group sheets Jim? If I decide to go this way is there anything I need to know about dpi of the charts. I imagine they may be problematic. I will have to change the margins too..

Cheers

Kaye -

The Descendent Indented Chart under Reports on the top menu in TMG might suit your needs better than a VCF chart, particularly with large families. There is no learning curve - as with VCF charts - and you have options for data you wish to include.

Virginia

Hi Virginia. I am using these as well at the end of each family. This is just to put opposite each family chapter and very basic. Just a snapshot, albeit I would have liked something fancy. There is no space for anything else. I am looking at 16 children in one family and 15 in several others. We have come up with an excel in landscape with two columns and to number each child and bdm's and spouse.

But if I do go to family group sheets do you know anything about the dpi of the lines? I also have to find out how to make the descendants lines bolder.

regards

Edited by kaye

Kaye -

What are the page dimensions in your book?

There are settings in the VCF chart options to make the box and connector lines wider by increasing the pixel width. Google for an explanation of the dots per inch/pixel relationship and what is required for printing.

There is an example (including the required chart settings) of a waterfall descendant chart with 10 children here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15341-one-generation-10-children-plus-spouses-on-letter-size-paper/?p=62569

For the Family Group Sheet, see some suggestions for settings in the forum message here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/14144-v8-color-coordinate-fgs-and-vcf/?hl=color-coordinate

To increase the line pixel width in the FGS, go to the option tab Miscellaneous.

Virginia

Hi Virginia.

Thank you for these links. I googled printing and pixels and enough to do your head in. I am waiting for my typesetter to get back. I know about pixels in my photos.

The colours in version 8 are different than the example. Just have a choice of colours as in word. However I see where to increase the pixels once I know what my typesetter wants . I will do the descendants charts with adjustment in pixels and use the template that was made for me in excel at the beginning of chapter. More work. but....I can out source it. I don't use all functions in TMG.

The typesetter prints a lot of charts in her publication that are done in excel. I think this is the way to go with so many children. I need 3cm margins all around to fit into the designers template.

As for FGS. Example, useful for info taking out header and footer. Then for the rest is very easy to adjust in word rather than TMG. Still an option.

The dimensions of the book is A4 with 3cm margins side and top.

Thank for your help

regards

Edited by kaye

Virginia I always get an error when I l "ike this" and when I try again it says I have used up my quota so sorry cant leave feedback. sorry.

Kaye -

I do not believe the 'Like' option is enabled in the WG forum - but thanks for thinking of it.

Re the colors in the FGS example I referred you to. Those are my custom colors (which anyone can create for TMG). The standard Windows colors used in TMG are limited and not well suited for our reports and charts - and layouts and accents. I have made a color palette available for download - with instructions for how to use it in the forum message here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=11267

I use the same custom colors for accents. See the favorite layout thread here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/14442-my-new-favorite-layout-customizing-the-workspace-in-v8/?p=58147

Will your book use color?

Virginia

I cant see my reply. Yes two colour. Basically I said this is helpful to others. have been in touch with typesetting company and they would rather set the colour and I believe it may change by printer. I will post when I get my examples back to let others know about dpi of the lines. I am sending examples based on the options in TMG.

Cheers