Any ideas as to why TMG would give the error "file name xxxxxx does not appear to be a valid PJC file"?

I'm using TMG version 9 and the file I'm trying to open is also a TMG version 9. My computer had a slight crash after which I began experiencing issues with accessing my project file.

I've tried unsuccessfully several times to access my project file.

I also tried unsuccessfully recovering my most recent backup made through TMG. The program is giving me an error about not being able open the ZIP file and says the file may be corrupted.

Any ideas?

Really prefer to recover from the PJC file.

Thank you!

First, John, you posted this twice so I deleted the duplicate.

Second, sorry John, but the error about a PJC file is usually accurate. I suspect that you were using TMG when your computer crashed and the TMG files were badly corrupted. In all cases I can recollect of this error the only solution was to recover from a backup.

As for your recovery issue, this is usually caused by the project's backup .SQZ file not being located on the main internal disk drive. If your .SQZ file is on some backup media, like a thumbdrive or CD, first copy it to disk and then recover from there.

Hope this helps,

Thank you Michael for deleting the second post. I did not intend to post twice.

I replaced the corrupted PJC fil with the last good PJC file. Having not develed deeply into the file, the only apparent issue is one accent color was changed.

Any thoughts on just using the known good PJC file in an existing file?

I have a good backup from which I can resume. This file only sets me back about three sources and about three hours work.

My last .sqz file is in the working directory and it too is corrupted.

Sometimes, the PJC file can be damaged. Using the PJC file from the last backup (or from another backup of the same version of the project) to replace a damaged PJC file is OK.

When you have damage from a power loss, data tables in the project can also be damaged. The only recourse in that case, is to revert to a project backup.

All 3 of my hard drives crashed within 24 hours. I thought I was safe because I had my exhibits folder and sqz file on a thumb drive. Wrong. It says "not valid pjc file". I have tried to restore the last 4 backups but no good results. I ultimately imported a GedCom of my own database, but that left me with "Unknown GedCom file" scattered throughout. I'm afraid to continue with TMG because of the corruption. I tried uninstalling TMG v9 on my desktop, and even that was not allowed. Is there any recourse? Or must I switch to another program?

Creating a project by importing a TMG-created GEDCOM file will result in considerable data loss from your original project.

Can you send me your latest backup to check?

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link...

Jim Byram