solongago

TMG 8 with Windows 10?

I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10, but will not do so if TMG 8 is incompatible. I see posts that TMG 9 should do fine (I assume I can no longer get ver. 9), but I see no mention of whether TMG 8 will work.

TMG v8.08 is structurally identical to TMG v9.05 and should work as well as v9.05 when running under Windows 10.

I have TMG v7.04 and v9.05 running under Windows 10.

Bottom line... Windows 10 introduces no new issues running TMG beyond all of the known issues that happen under the earlier operating system versions.

Jim, I have made a post on the TMG list hopefully you are still a member. Would love to hear there more information whether to upgrade to 10 with v9.05 or not, meanwhile I have put a reserve on the program to download.

I really don't have anything else to say. TMG v9.05 works fine under the current development build of Windows 10. Windows 10 will be released Jul 29 and I'd encourage anyone running an earlier version to upgrade to Win10 if possible.

Good to hear some have not had a problem. My TMG8 boots up but lost its identity so to speak. It only recognises my first name and has lost all my other information and thinks it is an EXPIRED TRIAL VERSION after upgrading to Windows 10. Now for clarity I did have a Ver TMG 9 downloaded to try right before the shutdown and never was able to consumate the deal. SO that trial was still on there. Can't figure out why it would confuse the two programs.

I installed Win 10 on my laptop, and on my desktop. TMG program on my laptop works fine. But on the desktop, whenever I try to run a Family Group Sheet report, I get his message -- “conversion error #14: could not create destination file”. I have tried reinstalling the TMG ver 8.08 from disk, but without success. Same error message. Can you offer any suggestions that maybe help me? Thnx in advance for your time and patience.

Bob O'Brien in AZ

Yes, I ran the installer with repair. No luck. So I uninstalled TMG 8.08 from my computer. Turned the machine off. Them reinstalled the software. Did the upgrade to 8.08 again. But am still unable to run the Family Group Sheet report on this machine. What else can I try now?

Bob in AZ

Why didn't you use the v8.08 installer initially? You, in effect, installed twice. There hasn't been an 'upgrade' installer since TMG6.

Reset the Family Group Sheet report configuration to default and try the report again.

So I reset the report config to "default". Now I get the report in pdf format. Useless to me. When I changed it back to WORD, get same error as mentioned above. And no report..

If you are using Word 2013 or later, the FGS must be output to RTF, The Word table format used by TMG for form-based reports (FGS, ID, Pedigree) is not compatible with the newer versions of Word.

That issue is covered in Help. For example...

Note: If you are using Microsoft Word 2013, you should choose the Rich Text Format (RTF) file type to save the report rather than the Microsoft Word (DOC) file type. This tabular report is not compatible with the table structure used in Microsoft Word 2013.

I had TMG 8 on my desktop running windows 7. It crashed. I have backup files but don't know how to reload the program. I downloaded it on line so I don't have a disk.

What can I do? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Is this the correct forum or should I go to another one?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Terry:

Thanks. I did find my installer but now I find that I have only the 30 day trial. It averted disaster but I can't find my serial number so I am stuck with 30 days. Any suggestions on getting a serial number. I have my 7.03 serial but not for 8.07

Thanks again.

Pat

I did copy your article. Thanks

Assuming there is no way to recover it from your prior installation, the only way I know is to email support at WG and ask for it. Last I heard there was someone there who eventually will find your email and reply.

Failing that you could update to TMG 9 while serial numbers are still available. The link to the only dealer with a stock of them is in the same article.