bgarten

Windows 10 and TMG 9

You are not being clear about what your problem is. You can't unlock?

Unlocking requires the name, email address and registration number that were in the TMG9 registration email that you received from Wholly Genes.

There are issues that some users who updated to Windows 10 have seen regarding file permissions. I posted a couple of links regarding that a day or so ago.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/11933-problem-permissions-modify-files-programs-folder.html​

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/14573-windows-10-not-allowing-save-certain-folders-admin-account.html​

Jim

When I put in the information for the unlock screen. The same name and email address I've used for a decade, plus the last registration number I have, from .04, I get a screen that says it is incorrect and that it will open in read-only mode, and that the next time I open up it will ask for the "correct" information in order to unlock.

I just looked up the email, dated 2/9/2014, and the information I'm putting is is exactly what is given in the email.

Pat

Well, tried again this morning and IT OPENED!

Just in case someone else has this problem -- outside of I rebooted the system between the previous and last tries -- is that I noticed when I copy/pasted the code, the cursor was not at the end of the line. I fiddled with it, thinking I had added a space in copying. Whatever, it worked!

Jim, thanks for your trying to help!

Pat

I just installed Windows 10 and my TMG 8 seems to work fine, but when I start it and choose a project to open, a message comes up that it is installing Microsoft Publisher 10. Now my Microsoft Publisher was installed long ago and works just fine. I close the window that says in is installing, it pops one more time saying it is installing, and when I close it the second time then TMG works fine. Anyone else running in to this? Have you discovered a fix?

Is there a difference between .exe and the installer? I can't find installer (I downloaded TMG.09 and TMG.05, am using .05.) I want to save everything I should to a thumb drive before I upgrade to Windows 10.

Currently 9.05 will not allow me to copy my Registration # when I go to Help.

An exe is simply an executable file for Windows. There are thousands of them on your Windows installation, including the main program for TMG, TMG9.exe.

The TMG installer is also an exe file. For example, the installer for TMG9 US edition is tmg9setup.exe. You should make sure you have a copy of this in a safe place, along with a copy of the registration number, in case you need to re-install and the installer is no longer available.

No, you can't copy the registration number from the Help > About screen. But you can by using Help > Technical Support, and on the screen that opens click the Trouble Report button at the bottom. The text file that is created includes near the top the serial number, which you can then copy and save to a safe place.

I have a strange problem with TMG and Windows 10 which I have raised with Microsoft support and I am just checking here to see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Upon opening either TMG or Second Site, Windows installer tries to call Microsoft Office Single Image 2010, I have another programme in which upon opening normally Windows Installer pops up and tries to run a non existant Nuance PDF viewer. Clicking through Cancel eventually lets me run the programme.

MS support have taken the matter on and are due to have a look at the problem later this week.

Thanks Virginia, I have had a look but all the problems/ solutions seem to refer to the error happening when opening Office/ word/ excel and other nasty MS offerings and not nice old TMG, SS, and my lepidoptera database.

On 2 September, I made several attempts to unlock my TMG 9, eventually, and with no apparent differences in the items or the case of the items used in the unlock screen, it opened.

It opened for a few weeks. Then, about every third day, I would have to unlock it again.

Yesterday, it refused to take the entries, and gave me the "read only" screen. They were copied from the same text file I had been using since September, no changes.

I've tried every way I can to make this work. Ideas?

Running Win 10 home /64 bit. I can't find the information on updating Win 10, but I'll bet it has.

Pat Dunford

You've tried right-clicking on the TMG shortcut, selecting 'Run as administrator', unlocking, exiting from TMG after closing the unlock screen, and then running TMG normally?

If that doesn't work, contact me directly by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

I had to purchase a new computer as a result of a hard drive failure. I had backed up my Master Genealogist program and files to an external hard drive. My new computer has Windows 10. I was able to copy my Master Genealogist files including the installation program to my new computer. But, when I try to open Master Genealogist, I either get an opportunity for a trial version or, if I try hard enough with the installation program, it asks me for the serial number of my account. I do not know the serial number since that was on my dead computer. Is it possible to obtain this serial number many years after purchase of the program?

Bruce

You understand that TMG support ended at the end of last year?

Write support@whollygenes.com and Dorothy may respond with the registration information that you need. Give her a while since she is doing this on her own time.

If you get the registration information, record it so that you will have it in the future. You should also back up the installer off of your computer.

Note that the registration information consists of three parts: a name, an e-mail address, and an unlock code. All three must be entered exactly as specified in the registration.

I just upgraded to Win 10 - using TMG v9.05 , I too can not create a PDF file, creating Word works fine. I get error messages of - printer not activated, error code -30 and unable to start print job - TerPrint2, error code 15.

Anybody else have and solved this issue?

Thanks

Luther Strasburg

There is a topic that covers this issue...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/16088-cannot-print-from-print-preview-in-windows-10/

You can work around the PDF issue but it's not worth it. You don't need the TMG PDF printer driver.

Set the report destination to Printer and use the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' printer driver to create your PDFs.