rlgleason51

Cannot Print from TMG 9.5 via Mac (os 10.10.4) with Parallels 10

I am trying to print a FGS. I can display the preview but I cannot print to neither printer nor PDF.

I checked my windows settings, and my printer is set as default. I checked the printer settings in TMG and it also shows my printer as default. I tried setting windows to a different printer but still cannot print.

what else should I try?

Thanks.

Jim - Still cannot print reports.

Tried following your instructions and found out that while I had dowloaded 9.05, I had not installed it, so I was still running 9.04. Here is what I did:

1. Installed 9.05

2. Tried reports, no go

3. Ran repair, still no printed reports.

4. Installed (or re-installed) PDF printer. Still no printed reports.

Prior to all of this, I verified my printer settings in windows and TMG. Correct printer was selected as windows default. TMG was set to use windows default printer. I tried resetting the printer in TMG to the specific one but no luck.

I want to specifically mention that I can generate the report preview and print view with no issues. It's when I click on the 'print' icon that nothing happens. I mean nothing. It's like I never clicked on print at all.

What else can I do?

I don't have a Mac, but have you reviewed the separate post about using TMG on a Mac with Parallels? See here. There may be something special about such a setup which that post will reveal.

Michael

Yes I have, and I also worked with Glenn when I was first setting up. My settings appear to be as recommended.

I cannot remember if I had tried to print from TMG after I installed on the Mac (only had Mac for less than two years.) so this may not be a new problem, per se, but an unknown issue just discovered.

I tested printing a FGS from the Report Definition Screen by selecting the Printer radio button in the Report Destination frame, and from the Screen Preview by clicking the [Printer] button I also created a PDF by selecting the Save to: radio button, choosing Adobe Reader (PDF) in File type, and specifying a file name additionally I was able to create a .rtf and .doc file all without problem.

OS X Controls the hardware: Can you print from a Mac program?

If YES: Can you print from a Windows program other than TMG?

On my system testing reveals that I cannot control the Windows Default printer in the Windows Control Panel > Devices and Printers, however by activating Mac System Preferences > Printers and Scanners and setting the default printer it immediately changes the default printer in Windows.

You might want to reinstall Parallels Tools - with the VM running Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools, Parallels Tools facilitates much of the communication between the guest OS and OS X after reinstalling Parallels Tools you must restart Windows.

Finally you may want to try resetting the report to the defaults [Reset Defaults] button on the Report Definition Screen.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

OS X: 10.10.4 (14E46)

Parallels: Version 10.2.2 (29105)

Windows 8.1 Fully Updated

Glenn/Jim/et. al.

short answers first, YES I can print from the Mac and non-TMG windows programs.

Checked settings on Parallels and they matched your document, except share folders which I set to all. If I set to Hom only, I lose my external data drive, which has all my TMG data base files, as well as all my other data.

Next, I reinstalled Parallel tools. Then I reset TMG reports to default. Still cannot print reports.

I then changed the report destination from preview to the printer itself. The system went bonkers. First I got this message: OLE Error code 0x800401454 Class not registered. Then an 'open file' window popped up looking for *.dbf file, from which I could not cancel out of. I had to force close TMG and windows.

I am back to square one. any other ideas?

I was planning on keeping TMG until law of gravity was repealed but will have to look at other progams if this cannot be resolved.

I see this issue reported in the TMG 8 Forum

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/16075-problem-previewing-report-on-screen/?hl=0x80040154

I'd recommend running the installer as administrator, right click on tmg9setup.exe and choose run as administrator

Also see this post to check that the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 is set to the null port

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/14260-tmg-v8-tips/?p=57963

Uninstalled then re-installed as admin. When I started tag again, my project came up, which surprised me as I thought I would have to register and everything. Anyway, tried to create a report with the same results. This time,when creating the preview, I noticed and real fast display of a red progress bar with a message then was replaced with the normal progress bar.. It went by so fast I almost thought I had imagined it.

Anyway, I uninstalled again and rebooted windows. Before I try another install, are there any files/folders I need to remove to make this a really clean admin re-install?

After I did the above, I deleted the folders from program files and programx36 files, then reinstalled as admin. Still not able to print reports. I can't help be feel I missed something because during the install it did go thru the process of recreating the language files and other folders, which was not done during my previous install. However, It still did not ask for my serial number and I am not sure if this is important to the type of install I did.

anyway, all out of ideas. Hopefully someone will be able to come up with the 'magic key' to unlock my issue.

Update. Realized I had not installed the PDF printer. During the process, on of the messages that popped up was:

Copying CDINTF.DLL file.

Error 32

Process cannot be completed because it is being...

The message ran off the screen and I could not enlarge the box to read the whole message, but guess it trying to say the file was in use.

Anyway, I then got a successful install message.

Still cannot print.

Edited by rlgleason51

The post before setting the port to null describes removing & reinstalling the WG Printer check the section below in a few cases you may need to clean up...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/14260-tmg-v8-tips/?p=57483

This won't solve the printing problem in TMG, but since you can print from other applications a work around would be to save the FGS report as a word.doc, you could then open and print with Word or Pages, or save it as .rtf and open and print with TextEdit.

Glenn

The workaround worked. I guess I'll have to live with this.

As an aside, while cleaning up the PDF printer, I found three version soft the CDINTF400.dll file. I deleted the

windows\system32\spool\drive\x64\3

windows\systemwow64

windows\system32\spool\drive\x64

I deleted all three but were reinstalled with the pdf printer.

I believe replacing the .dll file is the expected action.

If you really need to print directly from TMG another attempt at a clean install may be the way to go.

From the post in which you describe uninstalling and deleting folders it's not clear that you deleted the two TMG9 folders in ProgramData as described in the Jim Byram's post on doing a clean install

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers/?p=66002

BTW The post above the clean install instructions gives the links to download the install file should you need it.

I would add after you uninstall and remove the folders reboot the Virtual Machine.

After restarting run tmg9setup.exe as administrator by right clicking and choosing Run as administrator from the context menu.

At the end of the installation process UNCHECK the option to open/run TMG we don't want TMG to run at this point.

Reboot the VM again.

After the restart Right Click the TMG desktop icon and again choose Run as administrator from the context menu, if prompted enter your unlock information do nothing else but that, exit TMG, if not prompted to unlock do nothing, exit TMG.

Reboot the VM again, after the restart run TMG normally.

No guarantee any of this will return print function to TMG but I'm out of other ideas.

I followed instructions to th letter and still printing issue remains the same. I guess I have to stick with the work around.

Just for kicks, I tried starting TMG as admin afterwards, just to see if that made a difference and could load the project because windows could not see my disk. Strange, but strange is getting to be the new norm.

Thanks for your assistance.

Sorry that didn't work. Since printing from other programs works it's strictly a TMG porblem, at least you can get printed output with the work around.

To be filed in the "For what it is worth" category, in case anyone can come up with another procedure to try....

Still CANNOT send reports to a printer. CANNOT send reports to PDF file.

CAN preview reports. CAN send reports to Rich text format or MS Word.

CAN print help topics.

Have you tried sending a screen preview report to the Print to PDF (Mac Desktop) printer?

You'll get a file on your Mac Desktop named: Windows 8.1 printed document.pdf which you can rename, also you should be able to print this file from the Mac without involving TMG or Windows.

post-395-0-52570400-1455406932_thumb.png

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

OS X: 10.11.3

Parallels: Version 11.1.2 (32408)

Windows 8.1 Fully Updated

TMG 9.05

Glenn

When I get to the report preview screen, the printer icon does not function. The only way I can direct output to a printer is to first send as a word or rtf format and not to the preview screen.

I have noticed that when I generate a report, when the blue progress bars flash by there is one red bar that appears so fast I cannot see what the error message is.

BTW: I am using OS X 10.11.3, Windows 7 and parallels 10

I think I found the source of my printing problem, but don't knowhow to fix it:

I get the following error message when attempting to print directly to the printer:

OLE Error code 0x0040154: Class not registered

How do I fix this?

Did that, but no change. Interestingly, had to run installer as administrator else it would not work. However, I cannot run TMG as administrator because it won't recognize my external drive, where I keep my data.

Installers should always be run as administrator. They usually do that by design. TMG should never need to be run as administrator in normal use.

Another thing to try is to uninstall the Wholly Genes PDF driver and reinstall it from TMG.