Paul Lawrence

Cannot print from Print Preview in Windows 10

For the most part I've had no problems with Windows 10, but I have found that I can not print from the Print Preview. Am able to send to Word Processors (Word/WordPerfect) and print.

Any ideas?

Problem solved...almost

Found that I also had problem printing to PDF....when I tried I was asked if I wanted to install PDF printer and said yes but got error and report was not created. Exited TMG and ran as Administrator, reinstall PDF printer, that worked. Tried to print from screen and that now works.

Restarted TMG normally and print from screen still works....but now Print to PDF not working again....am getting message

"Printer not activated, error code -20" followed by "Unable to start Print Job" followed by "Error exporting to ....."

Paul,

I get an error 30 when printing to PDF as standard user. No error when running TMG as Administrator.
The error 30 is clearly a permissions error.
Here's a workaround.
First I reinstalled the PDF Writer v4 running TMG9 temporarily as administrator.
Run Regedit and open...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4
Right-click on the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4' key and select Permissions.
Select Users.
Check the 'Full Control' box.
Click [OK] to save.
Now I can create a PDF successfully running as Standard User.
The PDF is created but not opened. The default application for PDF was Microsoft Edge and I changed that to Reader but open after creation still fails. (I suspect that the issue is that both are Win10 apps... and that the file would open if Adobe Reader was installed and had the PDF file association.)
You can double-click on the created PDF file and that works fine.
Jim

More... I get the -20 error with TMG7 and the PDF Writer v3.

And I can't get around it yet. 'Printer not activated' means the code from TMG to enable the printer driver is not being passed.

Note... You can always create a PDF file under Win10 by selecting 'Printer' and selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as the printer. Losing the TMG PDF Report Writer functionality is not much of a loss as long as print preview works to view..

More... I can print from print preview in both TMG7 and TMG9.

Edited by Jim Byram

Paul,

I get an error 30 when printing to PDF as standard user. No error when running TMG as Administrator.
The error 30 is clearly a permissions error.
Here's a workaround.
First I reinstalled the PDF Writer v4 running TMG9 temporarily as administrator.
Run Regedit and open...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4

Right-click on the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4' key and select Permissions.

Select Users.

Check the 'Full Control' box.

Click [OK] to save.

Now I can create a PDF successfully running as Standard User.
The PDF is created but not opened. The default application for PDF was Microsoft Edge and I changed that to Reader but open after creation still fails.
You can double-click on the created PDF file and that works fine.
Have to investigate this further. My notes on the PDF writer errors are not on this machine.

​Jim

More... I get the -20 error with TMG7 and the PDF Writer v3.

And I can't get around it yet. 'Printer not activated' means the code from TMG to enable the printer driver is not being passed.

Note... You can always create a PDF file under Win10 by selecting 'Printer' and selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as the printer. Losing the TMG PDF Report Writer functionality is not much of a loss as long as print preview works to view..

More... I can print from print preview in both TMG7 and TMG9.

Found time to test work around this morning...

This appears to have worked. I rarely use PDF but checked it when I was having other print problems under Widows 10. All of my print issues appear to be solved.

Thanks Jim.

I did some more testing.

With TMG7 and the PDF output -20 error...

Selected the TMG7 Properties/Compatibility tab and ran the compatibility wizard.

This changed the compatibility to WinXP (SP3) and that resolved the PDF output -20 error.

Running Windows 10 and TMG v9.05.

I am running TMG as admn, mannually installed the pdf printer driver, and have tried various compatability settings. When I try too print to pdf TMG freezes or makes a pdf file of zero bytes. This is someting that I do use on a regular basis to send reports to people via email. If you can think of anyting to help I sure would appreciate it it. I wonder if this could be a port issue, but I have no idea where to check in Windows 10.

I provided a solution to the PDF issue above...

"You can always create a PDF file under Win10 by selecting 'Printer' and selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as the printer."

I found no problems with the nul port assignment.