Sign in to follow this  
bil

Please help what to do...confused

Hi I have only just seen the news that TMG has ended upgrades etc. I have vs 8.08. I tried to upgrade but it says all sold out.

I have a very large data collection on my TMG and am worried what to do. Can anyone advise if there is another suitable program that will take all this data and how to go about this?

I really am at a loss as to my next step.

Many thanks

bil

Wholly Genes ended TMG sales at the end of last September and ended support at the end of December.

Harry Goegebeur has some TMG9 gold licenses for sale.

You can contact him by clicking on the link above. Harry was the Dutch TMG vendor.

To learn about alternatives to TMG, you should join the TMG Refugees mail list. They have a website with extensive information on other programs.

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/Miscellaneous/TMG-REFUGEES.html​

Thanks for this advice. I am still trying to get into the Refugee mailing list....waiting to get permission?

Terry your is an interesting article, but I do not see how it addresses the security of TMG data for the long term? It seems that even with processes in place to reinstall TMG in the event of a computer failure, the bottom line is that TMG is finished? And so, I am desperate to find some other program that will do all that TMG did for me! And to transfer TMG data to that other program securely.

Hopefully if I can get onto the Refugee forum I will find some answers. Many thanks, bil

Two follow up questions if you don't mind?

1. I have just found that I can get vs 9.05 Gold licence.....would this be a goog idea?

2. Family Historian 6 says it can import TMG files....anyone have any thoughts on this program?

Thank you

bil

Bil,

1. In my view, yes. If you intend to continue with TMG for a time I think it best to have the latest version, and there are some useful improvements. If you intend to transfer to another program I would think you would have the best results if working from the latest version. But advice from those who have tried would be the best source on this point.

2. I tested transfers to Family Historian some months ago. There were many errors and many features of TMG that are not supported. They have continued development since so again advice from those who have tried it recently would be best.

I think the truth is that there is no current program that has all the features of TMG. Your satisfaction with any other program probably depends on which features of TMG you have used and consider important.

... I do not see how it addresses the security of TMG data for the long term? It seems that even with processes in place to reinstall TMG in the event of a computer failure, the bottom line is that TMG is finished?

Hi Bil,

For you, how long is long term? In my opinion I do not see TMG as "finished". As I have posted here and on the Refugees list, while development may have ceased and there will be no more bug fixes or new features, the program should still work just fine "as is" for many, many years to come. (As a similar example, my preferred desktop-publishing package ceased development almost 20 years ago and still has more features and works better than many new packages on the market.)

I am desperate to find some other program that will do all that TMG did for me!

You may be "desperate" but my observation of past posts on the Refugees list suggests that currently there is no such other program. Of course, as Terry points out, how close another program will come to "what TMG did" for you depends on which features of TMG you used. Any other program is sure to be "different" than TMG, and while some have recently been modified to directly import "most" of the data from TMG, unless and until they choose to add more TMG-like features you will have to modify the data to adapt to their different way of doing things. They are all likely to have some new nice features TMG did not have, and not have some TMG features you would like them to have.

Because TMG will continue to work I choose to "wait and see" for several years before even considering migrating to another program. And at my age I may never need to use a different genealogy program. Because I am staying with TMG for some time I definitely have the final version, and would recommend obtaining it if you can. Just my opinion.

Thanks Terry for your much valued answers and explanations to my questions. You have clarified the TMG position for me very well. Thank you!

Hi Michael. I appreciate your answers too and have taken them on board. I feel a bit better knowing what the actual current position is and feel hopeful for the future after your comments.

I am trying to get the Vs 9 license and so hopefully will be able to continue using TMG for some time to come!

Many thanks

bil

All,

Are the TMG v.9 copies discussed above available on disk or only downloadable over the internet? I would like to have a hardcopy offline. Also, I assume that my TMG v.7.04 data back-up would upload to the newer version of TMG. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks much, Jim

Since TMG sales ended at the end of last September, there is no place to buy a disk copy.

You can download the v9.05 installer and write a copy and your registration information to a CD yourself.

v9.05 can restore TMG7 backups.