Sign in to follow this  
JMDeGraff

TMG v.7.04 Back-Up

Hello TMG Group,

I have a working version of TMG v.7.04 on a computer that is beginning to experience problems. I downloaded this from the website and I don't have a back-up copy on disk.

Does anyone have experience backing up TMG onto a disk from a valid installation on their computer, and then installing this back-up copy on a new computer? I tried copying all files I could find associated with my TMG application to a hard disk, and then pasting them in the same file structure locations on another laptop, but this did not result in a working version of TMG. So obviously I did something wrong, or there is another way of doing this. Any helpful comments?

Best regards, Jim

You need to install TMG using the installer. It's a complex operation with many pieces including files written to system folders and the creation of registry keys.

If you need a copy of the TMG v7.04 installer, contact me by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

I have a similar problem. My old laptop isn't working well, so I bought a new one and I'm trying to install 7.04. I have a tmg7setup.exe file which I used to install from. TMG seems to be working and accepts my full version info. It works fine with the sample database. But when I try to restore a backup, it says the restore was successful, but when I try to actually go on to open it, it says it is creating indexes, but then stops at names with a big white box full of fatal error information. Does this sound familiar, Jim?

I checked and both the old computer and the new one are running 7.04, so it's not an incompatible version problem.

Edited by Linda (Babbin) Jones

Copy the project folder from the old computer to the new computer and see if that resolves the issue. The old folder will contain the indexed project and should avoid the indexing problem.

Thanks so much, Jim. Unfortunately, it didn't fool TMG. Because all the files were there, I selected "open project" instead of "restore backup," but TMG started indexing anyway, and it failed again in the same way.

Is there perhaps an index file that's somewhere in a different folder from the projects folder where all the other files are, all of which I copied?

Thanks so much for any hints.

Linda

If both systems have the same version and you copied the contents of the project folder from the old system to the new system, the project will not be reindexed when you open it. So the issue should not be the project index files.

Delete the contents of the repeat_files folder and try to open TMG again.

Be sure to check the paths for the current project in Preferences once the project is opened.

It worked! Thank you so much! I recopied the project folder and then when I went to select the .pjc file, I realized I had tried to use one in the wrong folder. Once I opened the right .pjc file, it opened. I really appreciate the support!!