Sign in to follow this  
Yeleka

Unable to backup

HELP! When I backup my TMG I get the following message:

Input file failure. This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process.

I am using Windows 7.

Thank you

Lee

This error usually happens when you try to backup to a removable device or optical disk. Be sure to make your backup to your hard drive.

I regularly get this same message. Sometimes on opening too.

I am not backing up to an external drive. As I never understood it, I just ignored it.

But after reading this thread, it is possible that a back up or other path set in the TMG options is a hang over from long ago and cant be found on either of our current computers.

I never reattached my images so they are indeed unfindable and I assumed the message referred to that.

Please note - it is not good to ignore this message. Using Windows 7, I just tried to back up a Project with all my settings to take to the laptop computer.

I have to say that I normally back up only for safety. I dont use back ups on a daily basis for transfering info to a lap top - I copy the whole folder containing the project. Then copy it back to the large computer when I get back from the archive.

It now turns out that I have no recent back ups at all,not the one I thought I had just made nor any since last year, presumably because I ignored this message. I was not backing up to an external drive.

I checked the options under file project advanced and the back up preference was correct - the back up folder in the TMG 9 folder.

Since I could think of nothing else to do, I clicked on this and then on select. After doing that I made a back up successfully and with no error message.

As this is an option specific to a project, I guess those of us who use multiple projects will need to do this more than once.But I dont know why the problem appeared. Just need to report that I too had it -

Edited by E Wilcock

I have now duplicated this problem on the Lap top running Windows 10.

I backed up with a sqz file on the Windows 7 desk top. Took it (used Drop box) to the new lap top so as to install my custom lay out and toolbar settings. All of which was fine. But when closing the project in Windows 10, I got the same message and on checking I found no back up was made to the designated TMG default back up directory on C:/ drive.

At a bit of a loss, I did as described above. Went to the preferences and clicked on the dots alongside the chosen (correct path). That opens up a side window with the bar in the correct directory. I clicked apply and then OK. After that I made problem free back ups of the two projects now on the lap top.

Since the problem cropped up for me on two different computers with two different installations of TMG - I can offer no explanation. Nor do I know how it was fixed.

But after reading this thread, it is possible that a back up or other path set in the TMG options is a hang over from long ago and cant be found on either of our current computers.

That's exactly the problem. The backup path is saved with each Project. When you move your Project to a new computer (no matter which method you use) that path remains. But typically it is not valid on the new computer, either because it has a new Operating System with different default path names for common paths, or because the user name on the new computer is different than the one on the previous computer.

The solution is to correct the path to a valid one. The easiest way to do that is use of the [...] buttons to navigate to a valid path as you did. The differences in the path names between the old and new computer may be subtle, so the error may not be obvious when looking at it.

Similar path name issues may exist in other places as well, both at the Project level and in Report Definitions. See my article on Moving Data to New Computer or Version for a fuller explanation.

Thank you Terry. The path did look the same and often I sort things just as I did here - at random. I am really much happier to have the explanation. So thank you for taking the time.

Terry.I am sorry to say that I am still having the problem. Using 64 bit Windows 7.

It could well be that changing the destination file as an option by clicking on the dots at the moment when one actually does a back up, is not preserved for the next time. Today I made several attempts and no success.

I have just made the alteration as recommended in your website article on changing paths.

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/new-computer-version.htm#paths

using preferences, advanced. And then managed to make a back up.

Since the path looks no different from what was there before, I really dint know what is going on.

Particularly as the error message is to a zip file that cant be accessed, or trying to use the option results in a note that a file cannot be found.

Since there will never again be a new release of TMG, I wonder whether one really needs to back up with sqz files these days? I keep each of my TMG Projects in a separate folder. Might not just copying the Project folders be sufficient for back up?