Whit

Premature GEDCOM Export Termination

I had this problem 2-3 years ago (with version 8, I think) and got some useful help from TMG support, but since then a computer failure has wiped out my old e-mails and I can't review them. The export of a GEDCOM (exporting all people) file terminates in the middle of a person's information, but the program says that the export finished successfully. Only about one-third of the file was exported. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running Windows 7 and TMG9.05. I'm using most of the default options, and I've tried it with and without the enhanced tag export option.

Whit,

The most common reason for exports to be incomplete is that another program in interfering with the file as it is being created. The most common source of this is a cloud backup system that is trying to backup the file before it is complete. The solution is to make sure that the folder in which the export is being created is not subject to backup by the cloud system.

Let us know if that's not the case, as there are less common sources of the problem we may be able to help with.

I do use Dropbox for some backups, but as far as I know all such backups must be specifically initiated (not automatic). Just in case, I used Task Manager to shut down the little Dropbox program that supposedly sits quietly in the background. I also shut down Skype and any other background program I could identify. Before all this I had restarted the system to have a clean slate to work with. I have used the TMG default settings for nearly all options in the export, and I do not include external files in the export. Each time I try the export it terminates in a different place. The last time I did a successful export back in the Spring, the file size of the GEDCOM was about 140 kB. The terminated files I'm getting now are between 1 and 60 kB.

So, if you have further suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Whit

Another common problem is creating the GEDCOM output file on a removable device like a thumb drive. Create first on the main hard drive then copy to the media.