Budlyte

TMG Won't Load

I posted the below message on the user group and they suggested I post it on this forum. It was suggested that Jim Byram may know the solution. Right now, it seems I need to load the sample to get in, then restore all my projects from backups. I have about 100 of these and would prefer to find another solution. Right now I can only load the sample project and none of my others is listed thus I cannot access them.

Hi all:
I guess my charmed TMG life had to come to an end sometime. I've managed to avoid any serious problems in the over 15 years I've been using this great program.
I went to fire up TMG this morning and got this.
"Repair mode has been activated."
I hit "OK"
The TMG screen came up and it said it was loading, then I got this:
the blue options screen which listed a bunch of options such as last, sample, select. etc. All choices are available except the "last" which is grayed out.
I did not dare to hit any of the other choices not knowing what would happen so I just hit the "x" at the right top.
Then I got this:
The Master Genealogist (repair mode) message which stated:
"An error happened when opening the data tables...File C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST V9\_ND.dbf not found."
I hit OK and TMG is off my screen.
What now?
Bud Dorr

Make sure that your Project folder path in Preferences is correct.

The error suggests that TMG is looking for the project in the program folder and that is incorrect.

If you ascertain that the project path is correct and that the project files are located in that folder, the next guess would be that particular project is damaged.

I guess it is hopeless. I will begin all over again by restoring my backups, if that is possible. If that doesn't work, I will try to find my TMG v9 exe file and really begin all over again.

Jim, I cannot find the project. Where would it be? When I bring up the sample and look to open a new project, there are none listed where before there were dozens.

Bud,

That points to Jim's description of the issue as being correct - you have TMG looking in the wrong place for the project. You need to use Windows Explorer to find them. See my article on installing a new version or on a new computer - the section on paths - for direction.

Once you open the project, check the paths in Preferences as that article directs.

I found all of by "stuff," including projects at:

Computer [forward arrow] OS [forward arrow] TMG - The Master Genealogist [forward arrow] The Master Genealogist v9 [forward arrow] project.

All my files are in there.

I zipped the files and placed them in Dropbox at this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32597005/tmg/Dorr_r.zip

I just copied my personal project but all my other projects are there. So it appears that perhaps all my files ended up in a location not described by my paths. It is all so odd.

I'm operating 64 bit Windows 7 home

Bud

Budlyte

If you do not already keep each project in its own folder (there are 140 or more files in a single project), you may find it will simplify moving or copying a project - just move the project folder.

If TMG is not working, perhaps it does not know where your projects are located. Note that TMG will not move your projects for you automatically. If you have your projects in the v8 location, you should move them to the v9 location if that is different - and specify in v9 Preferences the path where your projects are located.

Virginia

Virginia, I appreciate very much you answering me, because I do not know the file structure at all never having had a problem like this.

When I open TMG v9.05 and go to my preferences, the eight paths are C:\Users\Bud\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Backups\, then Configuration files, Exhibit folder, Export, Repeat files, Report output, Slideshow and Timelines. There is no "project" path here.

Under Program Options: General, there is a path C:\Users\Bud\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Projects\. Is that the path for all my projects and their files?

However, as I stated previously, all my projects and files are located at: Computer [forward arrow] OS [forward arrow] TMG - The Master Genealogist [forward arrow] The Master Genealogist v9 [forward arrow] projects. That is what is in my address bar. What are the forward arrows? Are they comparable to \ or /?

My program was working perfectly a couple days ago, now all of a sudden everything seems to have moved on their own. I am at a total loss as to how to fix this.

It is so confusing to me I don't know if I can explain this. You said there are 140 files for each project. If you look at the Dropbox zip file I placed on here earlier, there aren't anywhere near that number. I just zipped one project but I have a couple dozen others all in the same file location listed alphabetically.

It seems it would be a lot easier to just change my preferences and project paths that to try to move all those files. But I don't know what to put for the forward arrows.

This is one heck of a mess!

Your projects appear to be located in...

C:\TMG - The Master Genealogist\The Master Genealogist v9\projects

Your default TMG9 projects folder is...

C:\Users\Bud\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\projects

You have two choices...

1) You can copy your projects to the TMG9 default location

or

2) You can change the TMG9 preferences projects path to where the projects are currently located.

The current location of the projects appears to be intentional.

However, your understanding of the Windows file system and Windows Explorer (now called File Explorer) is so limited that you really need to get someone to help you.

Edited by Jim Byram