RuthAppleby

Automatic Relationship problems

TMG 9.05 (Windows 10 but also with earlier versions of Windows) fails to recognise that a sibling of a direct ancestor is also a direct ancestor, and indicates that they are a cousin or aunt etc.

Is there any way to correct this - recalculating relationships doesn't correct. What I have done to date is to disconnect the "aunt or cousin", create a new person then merge the two. This is rather fiddly.

Ruth -

TMG is following the conventions of genealogy research. There is a definition of 'direct-line' and 'collateral-line' ancestors here:

http://wiki.genealogytoday.com/direct_line.html

The people who appear in the TMG Pedigree report are the direct-line ancestors.

This is the convention for professional genealogists - but for our own purposes there is nothing wrong with modifying the way TMG presents the relationships if we find it more clear. It sounds like you have found a good work-around. In my one-page charts on the VCF forum, I often used color to show collateral lines.

Virginia

TMG 9.05 (Windows 10 but also with earlier versions of Windows) fails to recognise that a sibling of a direct ancestor is also a direct ancestor, and indicates that they are a cousin or aunt etc

Ruth,

I'm confused about what you want. A sibling of an ancestor is not your ancestor, so TMG is correct. Or is this person also an ancestor through another connection?

Ruth,

Maybe it will help to say it another way? As Virginia and Terry point out, a sibling of an ancestor is not your "direct line" ancestor in a genetic sense. You are not a direct product of their genes. While siblings are based on the genes of the same parents, each offspring of those parents can have a slightly different genetic code. The key point is that TMG is a GENEalogy program. While those siblings are part of an ancestral "family", they are not themselves a direct line genetic ancestor. TMG is giving you the correct genetic information.

Or is there something else going on concerning these people which we do not understand?

Hope this gives you ideas,

I'm sorry - I didn't make it clear. Two siblings, married to two different people, are both my direct ancestors, but TMG only recognises one as being a "grandparent" while the other is an "aunt" or "uncle". For instance : my paternal grandparents are first cousins, their mothers were sisters so both are my direct ancestors..

Edited by RuthAppleby